WD TV Live Hub Streaming to Samsung TV

Hi All,

I recently purchased a WD TV Live Hub 1 TB (these things are really hard to find btw!). I am trying to stream to another TV in my house for the hub. The TV is a Samsung LCD (about 3 years old). It is connected to my network. The TV has a really crappy Media player installed on it (I cant remember the name). I can use the TV to connect to my computer, and view movies via PLAYON. However, when I try to connect to the WD Hub, I can see all the movies, however, the TV just says “unsupported format” when attempting to play a movie.

Im sure the problem has to do with the crappy media player on my Samsung TV. My question is this :

I was considering buying a WD TV Play box for this TV. Can the TV Play box stream/connect to the WD Live TV Hub ? Has anyone done this before ? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

John

The WDTV Live Hub is DLNA Certified and features a built in “Twonky Media Server”

The WDTV Play is also DLNA Certified and is basically a “Client” able to connect to a “Media Server”

So yes, it should work

I can verify my WDTV Live can connect to my WDTV Live Hub via “Media Server” option

1 Like

Thanks Joey, looking forward to your reply :slight_smile:

WDTV Play (the cheap one) can connect to the WDTV Live Hub as long as the Hub is running Twonky. The Play is really not worth the price IMHO. You would get a better bang for the buck if you got an MK809III OR Minix X7 or similar device that does it all. They are Android devices. So just imagine a 55" tablet. 

I have a Tronsmart T428 love it. 

At the price of these gadgets, why not just recommend a WDTV Live SMP over a WD Play?  What do these things have over the SMP, for what it does and the simplicty in how it does it?  Not disagreeing; I just don’t understand these gadgets like I do the WD players.

mike27oct wrote:

At the price of these gadgets, why not just recommend a WDTV Live SMP over a WD Play?  What do these things have over the SMP, for what it does and the simplicty in how it does it?  Not disagreeing; I just don’t understand these gadgets like I do the WD players.

Like I said it’s like turning your TV into a tablet. Since your TV is now a tablet you wouldn’t need Twonky Beam anymore :slight_smile:

Anything you can do on an Android tablet you can do on an Android mini PC. DLNA, no problem and if you don’t like the way it looks or “feels” just get another DLNA app. Want movie info and sheets and covers? There are several apps (Archos) that not only get all the info FAST but will also display that info, sort it and then click! the movie is playing! WD NEEDS their next device to be Android based…and if you want XBMC there are ROMs that now incorporate it! Best 59.00 I’ve spent in a while…I actually have not used the Hub for a while now, other than for some storage.

Thanks.  Sounds cool.  (Oh no, gotta tell wife there is another gadget we need.  This will be tough.)

Which one do you have, and 2) which one would you buy if you had to do it over again.

This sounds so much better than a Chromecast, which BTW I cannot get to work with the Avia app that is supposed to enable a tablet, etc to stream to the Chromecast.  I have read it works on other Android tablets, but the Kindle app is still broken, even though I just got an update for it last night!  Avia support is useless.

Right now I would go for a Minix Neo X7 (not the mini). It just got Kitkat. It’s not a stick type. Looks to be about the size of a WD Play unit. Keep in mind tho the one big fail of these, so far it seems, is there is no 5.1 sound. It gets mixed down to 2ch.

Might be legal stuff keeping it at bay, IDK. 

Worth checking it out tho. Pretty neat and packed with other features. Like 3 USB ports and dual band wifi. 

flhthemi wrote:

… so far it seems, is there is no 5.1 sound. It gets mixed down to 2ch.

Might be legal stuff keeping it at bay, IDK. 

Super interested since you first mentioned these devices, but the 2ch mixdown is a showstopper for me for movies. The thought of full Kit Kat on the TV though is really tempting for all the other apps I use on my Nexus.

Mmmmm, more toys…

-P