WD TV Live Hub 1TB

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me does the WD TV Live Hub 1TB support playback of divx and avi?

I want to playback my dl movies and before I purchase this I wanted to make sure it will work for me.

Thanks and advance.

When it comes to playing pirated materials, you’re on your own.

But the Hub does support both DIVX and AVI.   But that’s not saying much, since both are just containers, not specific codecs.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

When it comes to playing pirated materials, you’re on your own.

But the Hub does support both DIVX and AVI.   But that’s not saying much, since both are just containers, not specific codecs.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the firmware upgradable? does WD provide regular codec updates via firmware upgrades and is it regular?

Cheers.

The firmware is updatable yes, but that’s irrelevant.  The codecs are built into the Sigma chip – any codecs the chip can’t decode when it leaves the factory, support for them can’t be added at a later date, by either Sigma or WD.

Even within the codec itself, nothing can be changed – h.264 supports up to L4.1… support for L5 and L5.1 can’t be added – a new chip would be required for that.

If you were encoding things yourself, then there’s no worries, since you can be sure that you always use codecs and settings that are supported.  If you’re downloading things randomly, there’s no control over whether the settings used will be compatible or not – some files will play and some won’t – that’s just the way it goes.

As said, the HUB will play most containers, however it does depend on the encoding of the the file.

And, I would not propose that just because something is downloaded that it is pirate material.  But something that you also have to consider is that if you downloaded it from a legal source, like Amazon, or something similar, that some of those sources have drm protection on the files and the HUB will not play them.