WD Please Stop

pssst… it’s already there…

True…

Stop calling them Apps…you can delete Apps. :slight_smile:

Very true. They’re streaming links. A.K.A. yet new ways to crash the hub.

I got an idea. Release a FW without services and games and open it up for the community to modify to there liking. Myself I would not care if access to all these service were gone since I never use them. There a many programmers out there who would love to get a shot at improving the interface. IE music interface and be able to use such token as @@studio and others. My last 2 cents. I can’t see this device getting any better looking at the quality of FW released in the last year. I will be staying at FW ver 2.07 until I can get a Raspberry Pi and run XMBC on it.

i agree that music interface isn’t very lovely. but i am very happy for the feature to select all tracks of one genre now. that was the most missed feature to me so far. what i miss a little bit right now is an acceptable display of the album cover of the current played track, maybe in the top tab “now playing” or in the play list. many of the themers easily could do it or have ideas for that.

there are some services i’d really miss if they were gone. vimeo, youtube, deezer, flickr and one or two others. what i really do not need and never be able to use are the us-pay-services and i want to be able to delete them from my screen.

1 Like

I would like to see a better playlist function and support for flac files playlist, but WD doesn’t really care about the music player feature, they think users use the online services to listen to music so probably we won’t see great improvement of the music player in next firmware as for every firmware they released.

1 Like

wdtvhub wrote:
True…

Stop calling them Apps…you can delete Apps. :slight_smile:

WD, that summed it up in a way I had in thought of. It made me think of something more like an iPhone where WD focused totaly on the local media side of the box handling the issues we all have with theming etc, and then used an open / published or even purchased for that matter API, where other companies worked on actual apps where you the end user could choose to install or purchase. Have them all go to the services section or some additional area for your chosen added apps.

I am sure their are all sorts of technical and financial reasons not to do this but it would be great. I would add in the 4 apps I like and use. People could add stuff to try it out, and then remove if you didn’t care for it ala iPhone model (which is clearly successful). You would add nothing, I would still end up with Pandora etc, WD would focus on the box, and everyone wins.

Ahh, to dream

-P 

Plesk90 wrote:

…but WD doesn’t really care about the music player feature…

/sign

I guess I don’t understand the hate for the services. You can ignore them right? That said, I only use one, Netflix, and I think it would be good to have a way to access it without having to navigate through the services I do not use. Something like a Favorites folder, for instance. Or perhaps, re-ordering the icons. It also would be nice to have an info page for each service explaining what the service does, what does it cost, how to use it and perhaps a demonstration. Also, I’m still going to complain about not being able to log in to the Youtube service for over six months now. It was working fine then, suddenly, I could not log in. Still can’t. Someone here said it was a Youtube/Google issue but I cannot get it resolved. I would think about dropping my cable entirely if I could get the MLB service. Please forgive the ramble-age.

you already have a favorites folder … at the main screen, press the down arrow… 

it should bring up your favorites,…

kudos if this works for ya! 

d

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

ok, now I am doubting myself…  not about the favorites, but which arrow to use to get to it.

i am not sure if it’s the up arrow or the down arrow… 

try down first. 

sorry … doing this from memory, 

d

I think you could even get to the last ones you used by clicking the blue D button on the remote. Or even easier get the android app and click on the logo you require. :slight_smile:

Edit - I wonder if WD know they have to update their phone app to show new services etc

Going back to what to what wdtvhub said, most of the stuff installed is directed at the US market. apple do this too, On the apple tv 2. I was given this to test / review, and they never asked for it back.

its been jailbroken, and has xmbc and atv black installed. most of it is directed at the us market. ive had it a year, and i think its only been switched on twice in that time, once when i tested it, and the 2nd when i had a power cut, and it switched itself on when the power come back.

on it i can hide the unwanted items, i mean i would rather paint my mrs toe nails than watch baseball. it would be a good idea that on the hub these addons could be removed or at least hidden… well it would be even nicer if they actually all worked., But as its a device that has been released internationally, maybe have firmwares for each region. Or even better still. bring out two versions. one with and one without. 

Ok, I tried out the favorites (down arrow from main page). That works pretty good. Thanks for the advice.

curtswanson wrote:
I guess I don’t understand the hate for the services. You can ignore them right? 

It’s not hating the services themselves. It what is represents.

My TV and BR player support streaming services. My AVR supports many audio streaming services very well. Before I had this equipment, I had a Roku box which does all of the above just as well. 

So why did I purchase the hub? I felt the 1TB drive to store video, music, and pictures was a pretty neat idea. NAS capability was also a plus. Themes allowed community created interfaces. All of the streaming services rounds out the device as a true “hub”.

I’m just a little amazed there isn’t more focus from WD on the features which differentiate it from other streaming devices. Adding more streaming features just makes the hub a “me too” box. Some focus on why it’s different would be appreciated.

You can add any service as a favorite in your dashboard. Blue button or down arrow. (media library on)

You can hide any unwanted service via Setup / System / Device / Device Security / Parental Control.

2 Likes

richUK wrote:

You can hide any unwanted service via Setup / System / Device / Device Security / Parental Control.

:dizzy_face: WOW! i just tried it. and yesssssssss! all the useless apps are gone/hidden now. only 7 left, thanx very much, richUK. why does WD not submit these simple solutions??? so many complaints of so many users and no reaction…

1 Like

:dizzy_face: WOW! i just tried it. and yesssssssss! all the useless apps are gone/hidden now. only 7 left, thanx very much, richUK. why does WD not submit these simple solutions??? so many complaints of so many users and no reaction…

Because WD doesn’t think outside the box! Good solve for a nagging problem!!!

Glad to make you happy :smileyvery-happy: