WD Live TV Hub - Booting problems

Dear all,

I already checked various older threads (i.e. http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Help-Hub-powers-up-WD-light-flashes-then-powers-itself-off/m-p/112920#M3845) but the problem looks different.

Mostly each time I unplug the power (even with the Hub switched off obviously) the Hub fails to start at next boot and shows only the start screen to become after a while blank with blinking led until I do not “Rebuild database” and /or - (I always try both operations to succeed) and “clear logs” from Twonky Media .

A couple of times I need also an hard reset.

Since I move the Hub from one TV to another frequently it became quite frustrating and time consuming, especially because in the 2nd tv I have to move the Dlink powerline together with the Hub in order to perform said operations, not counting that I have to switch on the PC in another room, go back and forth several times, while I would simply enjoy a movie stored in the HUB and no connection to network shall be needed.

Hardware is WDBACA0010BBK-EESN

Firmware is 3.12.13

Storage usage is 921.41GB / 930.44GB   (40% music the rest movies, no pictures)

Media Library  is OFF - if I activate it the chance that the HUB will boot properly even keeping it powered are very low

The quantity of data this is the only reason that keeps me to turn the HUB to technical assistance, since I am experiencing also (relatively) minor problems like impossibility to see the HUB in the Network by any PC, so move and/or play content from the 2 PC connected or using DLNA properly.
Any feasible solution that do not compromise the warranty and avoid me to buy a much more reliable and handy  WD TV live with an external drive of 2TB for the same price of a Hub (I have no difficulty in recognizing my past mistakes)?

Thank you for any help.

Hello,

As a recommendation,

Take the information out of the unit and test the device with the support option on the interface of the unit.

Thank you for your reccomandation.

Unfortunately I was not able to find what you cryptically defined as “support option on the interface of the unit”, not even in the manual  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705046.pdf.

Anyway I formatted the HDD (btw it took ages and never finished: after 24h I just unplugged it after checking the forum for “Formatting” issue, that seems also another problem for this device - see  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Formatting-the-hard-drive/m-p/598337/highlight/true#M25766 -). The result  was anyway an empty device.

1st boot was ok.

2nd, 3rd and 4th boot: failed.

(after a hard-reset) 5th: ok.

Conclusion: the device needs to be hard resetted most of the times… even if empty and with cleaned log, no media library activated.

Morale of the story: It’s going back to Technical Assistance today after I bought a supplementary external HDD just to store what was inside the WD hub: waste of my time (hours to copy the 980 GB library) and money: I bought an Hub to use its HDD, not to keep my Music and Movies in another HDD!

Hope they solve but it seems to me this device is doomed, plagued of so many bugs that trying to fix the first you only discover there are others :womansad:

Help4All wrote:

Hello,

As a recommendation,

Take the information out of the unit and test the device with the support option on the interface of the unit.

As a Hub owner for more than 2 years, I’m really tring to figure out what you have suggested here. As the OP said, "Unfortunately I was not able to find what you cryptically defined as “support option on the interface of the unit”.

WTHeck is that?