WD Live Hub, best and most reliable HDD expansion ( external HDD )

Hey guys, new here. I have a 1TB WD live hub and it’s filling up very fast. I bought a WD Elements external HDD and it doesn’t stay connected to the hub. I’m looking at grabbing a WD my book ( non - NAS ) that way it’s self powered and never be disconnected. Can anyone recommend me a HDD to expand the storage ? Also a explanation on how to set up the expansion would be amazing!

Sol_searchin wrote:
Hey guys, new here. I have a 1TB WD live hub and it’s filling up very fast. I bought a WD Elements external HDD and it doesn’t stay connected to the hub.

Really ?  i’ve got 3 of these, and they all work fine and stay connected to WDTV Live Hub

I will say … i bought one of these, (below) but it had and intermittent fault with the USB socket which i noticed after a few days

(give the USB cable a *wiggle* at the socket and *presto* the WDTV Live Hub recognizes it)

I reformatted it took it back to the retail store and got a full refund.

(P.S. I typed up an extensive fault / report and printed it out … handed it over the “returns person”  when they asked  "And the reason for returning it is … ? )  hey, it worked … sometimes you’ve got to *spook* them into giving you a Full Refund instead of a Store Credit :smileyvery-happy:

I also have 2 of these *old clunkers*  :wink:  which have been perfect over the last 3-4 years … (With the WDTV Gen1 - WDTV Live and WDTV Live Hub … all stay connected)

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/wd-wd-elements-1tb-2-5-usb-3-0-portable-external-hard-drive-wdbuzg0010bbk-nesn-wdbuzg0010bbk-nesn/10256794.aspx

I have this one here, it does not work for me… It does recognize the drive for a short time then it seems to lose sync and I cannot access the element drive through the WD or through the WD discovery software. Just curious, how do you have 3 drives hooked into 2 ports? Splitter?

What’s really weird is it seems the drive has previously been used, there seems to be some kind of password/username that I do not recognize, I tried a format and drive letter reassignment but no luck. I’m just going to get a self powered one.

I have a feeling the WD live hub I have has USB 2 ports which are not powered, therefore the external turns off.

Hi, Sol_searchin

Personally when i buy a “New” HDD i format it … i’m still on XP so,

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management (Local) > Disk Management > *Right-Click on the Drive* > Delete Partition > Format > (Un-Check “Quick Format”)

Make a cup of coffee and watch some TV for about 30-60 mins and it should be finished by then. (based on a 1TB Drive)

How can i have 3 drives hooked into 2 ports ?

Easy, ive got a cheap 10-port hub (if i don’t use the AC adpator i can plug in 2 bus powered drives in, and up to 8 AC powered drives) and plug the 3rd directly into the WDTV Live Hub (whichever is free … be it, the front or the back)

If i use the AC power for the “HUB” i can connect it to the WDTV Live Hub back usb … plug all 3 Portable drives in and still have the front usb free for another :smiley:

Yeah I figured it was something like that, I didn’t know you could run a splitter ( usb hub ) from the WD

The problem seems to be the external hard drive not staying ON while connected, can anyone recommend a reliable self powered WD external drive ?