Version 1.7.1.2- Tool to scrape TV Show Information for the WDTV Live Hub [9/17/2012]

it seems your app is taking accents well on the hub i mean instead of spaces i do have the accent so i can put the plot in my own language which is even more great, i hope in a future you’ll do one for movies just because of this :>

o/

boucher wrote:

it seems your app is taking accents well on the hub i mean instead of spaces i do have the accent so i can put the plot in my own language which is even more great, i hope in a future you’ll do one for movies just because of this :>

o/

Hee hee…  That’s something I never even tried.   Glad it works!   :slight_smile:

Actually, that’s pretty good info.   This is written in MS Visual Basic .NET 2010, and the Windows API handles all that text stuff internally, which is good news…

First of all thanks Tony for this application. I seem to have run into a problem with “Time Team” (series id 73096) Whilst loading the xml the program crashes with an unhandled exception, “The remote server returned an error (404) Not Found”  Is this thetvdb.com or your program ?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

That’s actually a problem with the TVDB database.

The database contains a URL to a file that doesn’t exist, and the XML Fetcher is unable to proceed since it thinks there is a file, but the server can’t find it.  :(

What makes this especially bad in this case is that the error is with the VERY FIRST EPISODE:

http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=73096&seasonid=20561&id=333022&lid=7

If you open up that URL, you’ll see an Episode Image there, but the image is broken.

You’ll need to contact the TVDB folks and have them correct the database for that series.   You do that by posting in their forum, and just tell them “Season 0 of series 73096 has lots of broken Episode Image links.”   It can take a while for them to get to it, though…  so just be patient.

Hi Tony been meaning to say nice work on your tool…

Whilst i dont keep tv stuff myself (delete after watching) i know ALOT of people will find your program saving them literally hours of manual labour …

thanks Tony, will do that.

brilliant tool for the Hub, you’ve saved me several hours of manually doing this. One question though… I have WdTV live as well & when I bring up the TV series that are on my ext HD attached to the Hub, I have trawl through all the Jpgs before I get to the video files? Is there any way to get around this? It makes the WDTV Live TV menus look messy. The strange thing is, that this doesn’t happen with the movie files?

any chance to have the possiblity to exclude the episodes thumbnail (not the one from the backdrops), because when i save the xml it always come with the episode thumbnail, dunno why ;[

Hi,

This looks like an excellent tool and time-saver, do you know if it works on a Mac?

Thanks

StuN_UK wrote:
brilliant tool for the Hub, you’ve saved me several hours of manually doing this. One question though… I have WdTV live as well & when I bring up the TV series that are on my ext HD attached to the Hub, I have trawl through all the Jpgs before I get to the video files? Is there any way to get around this? It makes the WDTV Live TV menus look messy. The strange thing is, that this doesn’t happen with the movie files?

This is probably the most long-standing issue with the Live and Live+.   Doubt they’ll ever fix it.

boucher wrote:

any chance to have the possiblity to exclude the episodes thumbnail (not the one from the backdrops), because when i save the xml it always come with the episode thumbnail, dunno why ;[

Are you saying you would like an option for the tool NOT to save ANY JPGs?  (Except in the Metadata, that is)?

Yes

boucher wrote:

Yes

Done.

Version 1.0.4.1 has been uploaded (See the top post for link).

Release 1.0.4.1 2/3/2011
  -- Added an option to prevent saving ANY filename.jpg type file. This is useful if you're only updating the XML
     and have no need to update the JPG files.

By the way, that little change took all of about 8 lines of code to add…   It goes REALLY FAST now if you’re not saving JPGs.    Can’t believe I didn’t think of that before when I’ve been running thousands of files through it!  

Thanks for the idea!  :smileyvery-happy:

Hey, i’m using Psycho THC’s theme and when JPG’s that it saves for the XML’s are 400x578

This looks fine when using it as folder.jpg (the dvd covers across the bottom that you scroll through) But when saving it as " moviename.mkv " The picture is too big, and it makes it zoom way in so you only see a small portion of the cover

Im not sure if i’m explaining it well, but im not sure how else to put it, it zooms in so you only see the middle of the cover and you dont see the top bottom or sides. Is there a simple way to add an option to resize the jpg’s to 50% their size because that fixes the problem (basically make the jpgs the same size as the hub makes Jpgs when you use the get info option) the 185x278 ?

as its just a pain to go back and have to resize 25 jpgs per season and if u got like 9 seasons – i just seen that u were able to add that option with just 8 lines of code, and i dont know anything about coding so i figured id ask if this were also a simple addition? and also was curious if anyone else was facing the same issue as i am?

Pulazki

try this  http://www.fotosizer.com/Default.aspx it’s free :slight_smile:

Okee dokee, folks…  Hosting has been moved to my own website now, and the new version now AUTOMATICALLY checks for updates and invites you to install.

Enjoy!

Here’s the dedicated link:

http://www.tonysown.net/XMLFetcher/XMLFetcher.html

This tool presently uses SxxExx as the Episode ID.   I’m working on adding a template that will change those formats to other things.

POLL:

What format do YOU use to identify SEASON / EPISODE in your filenames?

I use the same since that seems to be the standard.

BTW, awesome tool!!  I have been using a different tool for movies but just could not get it sorted for TV series.

I use:

/Series Name/Season/Series Name - SxxExx - Episode Name.avi

ie.  Bones/Season 01/Bones - S01E01 - Pilot.avi

With over 1500 TV Episodes already named/filed in this format, support for user formats would be great.

Thanks for the continued development of this great tool.