Upconverting Video

On DVDs and regular video files on the internal hard drive, the Live Tv Hub is upconverting all 480i/p content to 720p. Is there anyway to get it to stop this? My A/V receiver will do a MUCH better job of upconverting than the Hub. I want the Hub to output all files in their original resolution. It is connected to my A/V receiver via HDMI.

Set the video resolution to Auto and it should output the file at its own resolution.

I did that, but it’s forcing everything to 720p for some reason. Even went back and redid setup, setting HDMI to Auto.

kturcotte wrote:

I did that, but it’s forcing everything to 720p for some reason. Even went back and redid setup, setting HDMI to Auto.

There’s your problem. Once you are using HDMI there’s no way to use a resolution lower than 720p since that’s the lowest HDMI resolution available. You would have to connect using the component or composite outputs to get standard definition output. The HDMI output will always upconvert.

Okay. Must be a limitation of the Hub itself then. My Directv receiver can output 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p over HDMI. So could my Tivo Premiere.

Did you try setting HDMI to 480i?

Yeah, but then it’s going to downconvert everything to 480i/p isn’t it?

It won’t downconvert anything already at 480i and isn’t that what you wanted? Just remember to change it back when you want to play something of higher resolution.

I was hoping there was like a Native selection. If the file is 480i, it automatically plays it at 480i. If it’s 720p, it automatically plays it back at 720p.