Unsupported format message when connected to network

I’ve been all through this message board and haven’t found an issue that matches what I have going on.

My 1TB hub plays any video file I throw at it until I plug in the ethernet cable (I’ve also tried a USB wireless network adapter and it does the exact same thing). After connecting my hub to my network I can play a video file (on the local hdd) all the way through but the next one will not play when I select it. If I try to pause, fast forward, rewind or stop the video after about 5 minutes of playback, I get the infamous “unsupported format” message box. I click the check mark box and the movie keeps playing with the spinning arrow. I can exit out of the video and navigate through all of the menus and media content while the audio of the video file is still playing but when I try to select a different video file, it just takes me back to the original video with the spinning arrow. The only way to get it to playback normally is to disconnect it from the network and restart or unplug the hub and leave it disconnected from my network. Please keep in mind that these are video files stored on the local WD TV Live Hub hdd and they will playback flawlessly as long as the hub is not connected to the network. I have tried everything but formatting the hdd of the hub. However, all of the internet services work just fine when the hub is connected to the network. Below is a list of troubleshooting I have done so far.

• Reset the hub back to original state
  • Reset my router back to original state
  • Disabled all network related options one at a time: ie; metadata, windows sharing, etc…
  • Plugged the ethernet into a different port on the router
  • Rolled back the firmware to two previous versions
  • Sent the hub back to WD and got it replace with a different one (I was told it was a different one)
  • Unmapped it from my network
  • Assigned and unassigned it a static IP address
  • Tried CAT5e and CAT6e ethernet cables
  • Tried hooking it up to a different TV
  • Set audio output to digital passthrough and HDMI passthrough
  • Set up a workgroup and homegroup on my PC’s
  • Changed my network from home to work and work to home

I currently have it hooked up with an HDMI cable running to the TV for video and a fiber optic cable to the surround sound receiver for audio.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a smart phone that is DLNA compliant? (Like a Samsung?)

You may want to read this anyway…HERE maybe it’ll help…

Turn off all your tablets and phones. Then see what happens…

My wife has a galaxy note two and I have an iphone 5. I turned them both off and disabled mobile connectivity on the hub…still no go.

Thanks anyway flhthemi.

FYI. I will be changing ISP on 1/24/14… I’m hoping a better router will help resolve the issue. I will update then.

Ok…I’ve gotten my new router(asus rt68u) and charter 30mb/s service. Everything was going wonderful! Connected to my network and able to playback content without restarting every time. THEN…I mapped it as a network drive because it was taking a few minutes to show up in my network folder on my PC. After mapping the drive, the EXACT same issue came back! I unmapped it from my network but the problem is still there. It stays connected to the network all the time but when it is connected, I have to restart it every time I turn it on to watch a movie. I’m going to start looking for an alternative unit pretty soon if I can’t figure it out!!!

I still think there is something messing with your home network.

I have used PlayOn media server for years with minimal problems. Then in Jan 2013 I bought a new LG “Smart” TV. It is DLNA compliant. LG’s TVs scan your home network for video and keep tract of what you have watched. Then displays that info on it’s recently watched screen. So, all of a sudden I start having issues with my PlayOn server buggering up text files that contain data for some addons I use with it. In particular a favorite txt file that is adding info all by itself and a list one addon creates for friends. All kinds of data were being added into these files that are only supposed to be written to by ME when I add stuff to them using the addon associated to it. I spend many hours trying to sort this all out and find the problem. No joy…it goes on for over a year I just keep deleting the files every day and starting them over.

Then, one day i have a problem I have to get the techs at PlayOn involved in. So I have to re-create the problem on the server and then send them my log files so they can decipher them and see what the problem is, which I did. The techs sent me back an email asking me to turn off my LG TV because it was messing up the log files and they couldn’t make anything out of the data. Which I did and sent them fresh log files with NO LG TV connected. They could read the data. Now I’m thinking, hummmm…wonder if this is why my text files are getting hosed up. So I took the LG TV off the network for a week. Guess what…no more problems. Everything was back to normal and PlayOn issued an update for the other, unrelated, problem I was having. So I found a way to block the TV’s IP from the computer running the server and now it’s even back on the network but not causing a problem with Playon because it’s blocked from that PC.

Said ALL that to say this, KEEP LOOKING. It might not be the Hub itself. Try turning off everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on your network execpt the Hub and the one PC. Even if you have stuff like a

Smart TV

Powerline adapters

cordless phones

baby room monitors

wifi thermostats

cell phones

tablets

mini cell sites (like Sprint’s Airvanna)

make sure NOTHING but that one PC and the Hub are there wired or wifi