Unsupported format message when connected to network

I still think there is something messing with your home network.

I have used PlayOn media server for years with minimal problems. Then in Jan 2013 I bought a new LG “Smart” TV. It is DLNA compliant. LG’s TVs scan your home network for video and keep tract of what you have watched. Then displays that info on it’s recently watched screen. So, all of a sudden I start having issues with my PlayOn server buggering up text files that contain data for some addons I use with it. In particular a favorite txt file that is adding info all by itself and a list one addon creates for friends. All kinds of data were being added into these files that are only supposed to be written to by ME when I add stuff to them using the addon associated to it. I spend many hours trying to sort this all out and find the problem. No joy…it goes on for over a year I just keep deleting the files every day and starting them over.

Then, one day i have a problem I have to get the techs at PlayOn involved in. So I have to re-create the problem on the server and then send them my log files so they can decipher them and see what the problem is, which I did. The techs sent me back an email asking me to turn off my LG TV because it was messing up the log files and they couldn’t make anything out of the data. Which I did and sent them fresh log files with NO LG TV connected. They could read the data. Now I’m thinking, hummmm…wonder if this is why my text files are getting hosed up. So I took the LG TV off the network for a week. Guess what…no more problems. Everything was back to normal and PlayOn issued an update for the other, unrelated, problem I was having. So I found a way to block the TV’s IP from the computer running the server and now it’s even back on the network but not causing a problem with Playon because it’s blocked from that PC.

Said ALL that to say this, KEEP LOOKING. It might not be the Hub itself. Try turning off everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on your network execpt the Hub and the one PC. Even if you have stuff like a

Smart TV

Powerline adapters

cordless phones

baby room monitors

wifi thermostats

cell phones

tablets

mini cell sites (like Sprint’s Airvanna)

make sure NOTHING but that one PC and the Hub are there wired or wifi