USB Drive not found

I currently have two USB drives, mostly filled with content. Both are (or at least should be) HFS formatted. I also have a third “drive” which is actually another media streamer (mistake should’ve just gone with WD from the beginning). I previously had the two external drives connected to the other streamer, and were fine.

However, when I connect the two drives, which should be identical, to the Live Hub, it only recognizes one of them. At first I thought one of my ports was bad, but even after switching ports, the same drive still shows up. On top of that, if I connect the other streamer via USB, it also shows up.

Any ideas why one of my drives isn’t displaying at all? 

This is usually because they were assigned the same format ID at random from the factory.  To the WDTV, the “same drive” is plugged into both ports, regardless of any folder name.

I believe the answer is to format one of them, thereby assigning it a new ID.

Of course you’d want to back up anything already on the drive before formatting, and then restore it all to the formatted drive.

I plugged the drive that wasn’t showing up into my laptop, and it showed up fine. I ran a disk check on it, and it was okay. Plugged it back into the WDTV and now it magically works. I suspect it was some sort of permission issue. I had to mess with the drive permissions to get it to work on my old streamer.