Tool to preLoad "Get Info" metadata for movies (no TV series)

Hello,

A lot of people were complaining that this takes a lot of time to do this manually… and I’m one of them. This is why I made a little tool that is supposed to load this metadata in the format of the WD TV Live Hub… for movies that return just one movie-description (based on the file name) from  http://www.themoviedb.org.

I really hope the Hub’s development team is able to include getting the metadata as fast as possible in the process to detect new files… but until then, it can be of help…

It is just a rough tool, and only tested on my own movie files… so don’t expect anything fancy… and I can’t give any guarantees that it will be bug-free!

It can be downloaded here… 

https://sites.google.com/site/wdtvlivemetadataloader/home

And sourcecode is available here:

http://code.google.com/p/wdtvlivemetadataloader/

If there is a blocking bug for you, you can post an answer here… but as explained I’m not planning to put a lot of effort in making it a pretty tool… 

4 Likes

What an amazing tool, I’m sure you know how many people have been asking for this and that’s why you made it. Couple things which I’m not sure even sure could be fixed

*It doesn’t see movies with tags at the end such as “Anastasia HDTV”, “Beauty And The Beast EE”, “Avatar 1080p”

*It doesn’t see movies with a hyphen such as “Ben-Hur” “The A-Team”

Other than that, a great tool we have here. It took 5 seconds to grab metadata for 10 movies.

P.S. - Thank you for using the proper date format (day,month,year)::smiley:

You might want to give Media Center Master a try - it now creates .NFO files (XBMC format, as well as others) with movie information for use in these devices/applications.  I have not had a chance to try out the NFO files yet, but plan on doing so in the next week or two.

http://www.mediacentermaster.com/

Nice app man, easy and simple!

Got a question tho, it is possible to get metadata from other site than themoviedb.org?

No, the tool gets only info from  http://www.themoviedb.org

That is a fantastic bit of software thanks.:smiley:

All i need now is a way to get all my epsiodes with metadata and life would be great

Brilliant tool !

I just tried this on my external HDD with over 50 movies with no metadata and it grabbed it all !

This probably saved me 1 hour thru the Hub.

WD owes you money the_roggy !

Hello,

As i said above this is great, but just noticed none of my movies i have created metadata for using this show the date on the WDTV?  Is this due to the date format being different?

Is the date actually present in the XML? It should be in a YEAR tag.

I dont understand how this app works?

So just add the folder where all my movies are [i still have to rename them all to the exact title]

Then where do the XML files get stored at?

I tried to do it and i just got a log file that said METADATA Not found for all of my movies?

can someone further explain this to me in detail?

1 Like

Hi Tony I can see the date in the XML file under the year tag but in the hub it just displays n/a if I then ask it to rescan info in puts the date in with m/d/y format where as the one in the meta file was day month year. Also I noticed that the ones added with this tool keep the file name for the movie

Hmmm.   I guess it parses the year information then and reformats it.  I prefer MM/DD/YYYY format myself, so I didn’t notice that.

You’re correct; the hub does not replace the filaneme with the tag on XML that the user provides.   

Hi

I’m new to all this as I only got the Hub for Xmas.

The tool works great (Big thanks) but I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I get the large cover picture to display (to the left of the overview/plot).
  2. How to display the film title rather than the file name.

I assume there is a config xml file somewhere that links everything up, but I don’t know where it is located.

Any help much appreciated, sorry if I’ve gone off topic slightly.

Once again, a great tool.

Cheers

1>  A file called “moviename.jpg” must exist in the same folder as the movie.

For example, if your movie is “Sharks Kill All.avi” then youd need a file called “Sharks Kill All.jpg”

2>  You can’t.  That’s a bug in the WD’s code.    This DOES work if you do GET CONTENT INFO on the movie, but then that will overwrite the XML that this tool provides, so you’re need to put it back.

thanks for the tool roggy, will give it a go on my NAS share with 600 films on.  hope to save me alot of time.

If there is parenthesis in the filename, program gives an following error message:

There is an error in XML document (8, 8).

Doesn’t work:

C:\Movies\Great Movie (2010)\Great Movie (2010).iso

Works:

C:\Movies\Great Movie (2010)\Great Movie 2010.iso

Many thanks for the help TonyPh12345 much appreciated.

Tony

Hello! The_roggy

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you for this excellent tool, It did save me bunch of time to get some of my metadata…

One request, Can you please include  means to parse subdirectories and gather Metadata Information? - I have my movies in folders and this tool does not seem to work when there are folders and subfolders.

Also, Please include .ISO in the file list of known files.

Thank you again for a wonderful tool, Hope you find time to update the tool for the community.

With best wishes

Vistawall wrote:

Hello! The_roggy

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you for this excellent tool, It did save me bunch of time to get some of my metadata…

One request, Can you please include  means to parse subdirectories and gather Metadata Information? - I have my movies in folders and this tool does not seem to work when there are folders and subfolders.

Also, Please include .ISO in the file list of known files.

Thank you again for a wonderful tool, Hope you find time to update the tool for the community.

With best wishes

If you want iso use immediately just go to the end of the current movie extensions and add , .iso after WMV

My movies are in subdirectories and it scanned them all. Have a look at the log file in C:\temp to see what happened.

Be aware that this tool will not download any information where there is more than one title found plus it may download the wrong movie info so you should check.

Hello RickUK

Happy New Year to you!

Thanks! :wink: that did the trick… I never realized that field was editable to include whatever file extensions one wishes!

Great job and thanks again to Pieter Roggemans  We all owe you pitchers of beer! for coding this for this community. 

Best regards