Replace WDTV Live Hub internal hard drive

Hey! I feel your pain. 

WD is trying to protect their intellectual property rights :wink: and at the same time make sure only WD drives work with the Firmware so that customers can buy their drives and *only* their drives :angry:

I have seen this with few of their External USB HDD’s as well, especially the new ones with HDD encryption stuff like the Western Digital My Book Essential 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive, I have had the WD drive fail after the warranty got over, I wanted to replace that with a Seagate 2TB hdd that was lying around, But the Controller embedded in the External USB enclosure refused to spin the Seagate drive.

I got frustrated with it and just got a SATA to USB convertor and threw the HDD case into trash - problem solved :smileyvery-happy: what else one can do? 

Will I buy any of these sort of USB enclosures again knowing that I cannot replace my own drive with some other than WD drive that I want? — Probably not!

Some of these principles used by companies while it may look cool technically, but will never generate new customers.

Having said, all these devices are supposed to be use and throw materials anyways… :stuck_out_tongue: