Recording streamed input

Can the WD TV Live Hub record to a file what it is streaming for later viewing? Like Youtube and also movies? I’m on Hughesnet and can download faster and with less bandwidth restrictions after 3AM. If so, an app that would let me preset the stream and record would be great so I could tell it to do so at a decent hour.

rbloomquist1,

At this moment, the WD TV Live Hub HD Media Center does not offer recording features.

rbloomquist1 wrote:

Can the WD TV Live Hub record to a file what it is streaming for later viewing? Like Youtube and also movies? I’m on Hughesnet and can download faster and with less bandwidth restrictions after 3AM. If so, an app that would let me preset the stream and record would be great so I could tell it to do so at a decent hour.

Look into PlayOn / PlayLater. You can record streaming video from youtube as well as other channels, and view them later. Your LiveHub will see it as a media server (DLNA) . 

-P

JStaff, can you comment on Pearl’s answer. If she is right and that works, I may just pop for the unit. Otherwise, it won’t do what I need.

Pearl, Do you know if it actually saves the video to a file for later viewing or does it just execute the location again when you use the play later option? Have you actually used this option for later viewing of a movie (not youtube)?

Ahem…All Male here :confounded: 

PO/PL is a software program that runs as a DLNA server on WIndows. It physically records the stream as either FLV or MP4. Note that it has a slate of web channels it can access, youtube being one of them. You will want to check into the channel lineup. It does have  a mechanism to record most webstreams manually, but I cannot say for whatever movie channel you are attempting to do this for. If it is one of the major ones (Hulu, Amazon VOD, Netflix etc) than it will work and yes I have done it as there are channels already setup for those. 

One thing though that I now note from your OP, is that PL does not have a timer for recording. You would need to initiate the recording yourself, so if you want to do this in the middle of the night, you would at least have to be up to start the recording.

Search for playon.TV and you will see what the options are. It nicely compliments WD media players if you are looking for additional streaming content for your WD.

-P

rbloomquist1,

Media Servers may expand default features with near-limitless possibilities. As suggested by pearl, there are Media Servers available that will introduce expanded features.

However, please bear in mind that Western Digital is unable to support 3rd party services and features that are not natively available on WD devices.

JStaff wrote:

rbloomquist1,

Media Servers may expand default features with near-limitless possibilities. As suggested by pearl, there are Media Servers available that will introduce expanded features.

However, please bear in mind that Western Digital is unable to support 3rd party services and features that are not natively available on WD devices.

They don’t need to, MediaMall (PlayOn) and other server software companies take of it and so do the indiividuals that write the 3rd party scripts. The majorty of the files a server will send to a DLNA device are going to be native to it. If they aren’t already it will transcode the files. I sure wouldn’t expect WD to support another company’s/person’s software. Matter of fact, I’m trying to figure out why you would even bring this into the subject? Not trying to be a wise guy, just sayin’ doesn’t seem relevant to me…maybe I’m just not thinking outside the box today. :slight_smile: