Problem with remote-reach

I am having a really annoying issue with my remote.

Firstly, the room I have the WDTV Live Hub in is a smallish room. From where I sit to the unit about 8 meters.

When I first start to use the unit the remote just won’t operate. I have to stand up and move to within 5 meters of the unit before it responds.

Once it responds I can go back to my original position and it will operate! It is REALLY frustrating. There is nothing in the way, and I have it perfectly lined up at the end of the cabinet so there is no interference.

Any ideas of how this can be remedied?? It is a great unit but this is really annoying!

I assume that you have new batteries in the remote, there are no bright lights that are playing onto the player etc and there are no other remotes in the room which may be stuck on or conflicting with the WD remote.

My TV stand is made of tempered black glass on which my Live Hub rests … remote control response was hit’n’miss

Attached a Black Translucent cloth to the TV stand in front the Live Hub and all the other AV equipment and the remote control still works fine through it and is nice and responsive.

Glass / Reflective Surfaces can cause the IR Signal to Bounce  (and get lost)

P.S. 8 METER Viewing Distance ! … what SIZE is your TV ? 

Thanks for your help. 8 meters is wrong it should’ve read 4 meters. It is only a small room. The TV is a 42 inch and is close to the unit so maybe what you’re saying is possible.as the glass from the TV is close. I’ll move it further away and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Apologies RichUK I missed your reply.

Yea the batteries are new, that was the first thing I thought of. There is no bright light shining on the unit and no remotes interferring with it.

The STRANGE thing is that once I stand up and move closer to the unit and it starts to respond after say 2 comands I can then go back to my original position and it will work.

That is why I am stumped. It’s like it only has a reach of 2 meters for the 1st couple of commands and, then it “warms up” and works at a further distance.

I think Joey “may” be on to something as it IS close to the TV screen. It sits about 1 inch under the edge of the screen right on the edge of the cabinet.

I’ve just woken up but after Breaky, feed the birds, kiss the Mrs, and the dogs, and a shower (in that order) I’ll move the TV further back and see if that makes a difference.

thanks for your help. Much appreciated!