Official WDTV Remote App - Now Available

Dunno whether this has been posted yet or not, but there is now an Official iPhone WDTV Remote App, available…

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570#tab20

Search for “WDTV” in AppStore!

Need to be running the latest version 3.01.19… Will test tonight, if I get time.

Yep… It works QUITE well!  I only hope my kids don’t discover it and start monkeying with the WD in the Master BR while I’m trying to watch it.  :laughing:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yep… It works QUITE well!  I only hope my kids don’t discover it and start monkeying with the WD in the Master BR while I’m trying to watch it.  :laughing:

Thats a fantastic point… you should be able to lock it out, or restrict what phone have access to the device.

Upgraded last night, and used the iPhone Remote App. It is a bit slower than the remote, but, very easy to quickly access services (which I only use Facebook and Youtube). Much easier to input text…

Hopefully with new versions, they will reduce the clutter on the screen, and make it a bit easier to use. Even to perhaps, make a list of icons down the bottom, with “Services, Video, Music, Settings”. Then each of those pages, can have a listing that will directly play the video you select on your phone.

Their is also an official app available on the android market!

WD TV Remote

Timing couldnt be better.

Just bought the WD TV Live Hub for my father for christmas (myself i’m using XBMC on subnotebook).

Without the firmware updates it was like “hum, lot of things missing”. And now, 2 days before christmas, its finally real close.

really, really nice :slight_smile: Perfect timing

I have WD TV Remote on a Droid Bionic.    The only problem I have is the tabs to get to Services , the tv icon, and the list icon are too tiny for me to drag over or down.  They are real tiny and very close to the edge.

Clark75115 wrote:

I have WD TV Remote on a Droid Bionic.    The only problem I have is the tabs to get to Services , the tv icon, and the list icon are too tiny for me to drag over or down.  They are real tiny and very close to the edge.

That is my biggest complaint. It’s very difficult for me to drag the side menus… I have to press hard into the edge of my phone to get them to drag. 

Also, their is an option that lets you navigate using screen swipes, but it’s not as easily accesible as it should be and it could use some more work.

Unfortunately, the app is cool, but isn’t really useful. I already have the actual remote that works just fine. I can’t get rid of it since I’m not the only one in the house that uses the media player and I still need my tv remote…

Mine doesnt work! It wont find my device, anyone know a solution?

Running on my live hub is the correct firmware connected through LAN, iphone iOS5 connected on the same network ofcourse. And its all using a davolink(?) modem/router.

Please help, this is feature is really something i’ve been waiting for!

This Android version works great on my Samsung Galaxy 2. Especially the volume control

1 Like

Wow. This is just unbelievable. You can’t assign volume control key to the remote which come with the hub but they were able to add it to the Android/IOS apps. This just does not really make any sense what so ever.

1 Like

I’ve got one of the early WD TV Live HD models and got the same problem - no device listing in the android App (can see it on the network from PC fine).  It says the firmware is all up to date (1.06.15 I think, will have to check). 

I can’t find anything to say if it’s only the new TV Live models that are supported, or any sort of help regarding the app.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wdc.wdremote&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53ZGMud2RyZW1vdGUiXQ…

It does say at the top what models it works with ?

TheCoolDude wrote:
Wow. This is just unbelievable. You can’t assign volume control key to the remote which come with the hub but they were able to add it to the Android/IOS apps. This just does not really make any sense what so ever.

• *Makes perfect sense. The remote isn’t programmable.

The remote can’t be programmed but the colored key can be assigned different functions. Why could the other keys be assigned functions as well?

Thanks for the info Igrose. I just installed the Android App on my MotoDroid - nice app, it works well. I think I will still use the normal remote - but it’s good to have the App as a backup. I assume the App is using the wireless network to control the Hub? And out of interest why does the App have a volume control, but the hardware remote doesn’t?

Happy holidays to everybody :smiley:

Read three posts above this ? :slight_smile:

The use of the word “REMOTE” means different things, but I think more to indicate full internet capabitliy than anything else  which this app DOSEN’T  provide.  As far as I know, there is no WD app that allows any streaming OF video to the internet so that REMOTE deivces can play these files.  Air Video, a non-WD app will do this but requires a PC to be the server–when will we get ubiquious access to the smart devices that  live more OUTSIDE the LAN than they do INSIDE it…

When I use the Voice command mode it locks up my Backflip (android 2.1) and I have to remove the battery to get it to boot back up!