Now that Blockbuster is going away, how about adding Amazon Instant Video?

Got an email this morning from Blockbuster saying that it was changing technology and that its app would no longer be available on the WD TV Live Hub as of March 31, 2012 (I’ll post the text of the email below).

Now that Blockbuster is going away, is there any chance we might get Amazon Instant Video?

Here’s the message from Blockbuster:

We have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that, as of 3/31/12, the Blockbuster app will no longer be available on your Western Digital Player. We are updating our technology platform and will not be able to continue supporting your device.

ou won’t be able to watch movies from Blockbuster On Demand on your device, but you can still watch on any of our other devices or stream via PC or Mac. See a list of supported devices.

Your friends at Blockbuster

1 Like

This doesn’t surprise me.  I’ve had nothing but problems with Blockbuster on this device.  I’ve had to contact them several times for refunds b/c I’d purchase something and it wouldn’t download. 

2 Likes

Got the same message. But when I go to their list of supported devices (as they suggest) I still see WD Live.

So is Blockbuster going away, or will WD be upgrading their firmware?

1 Like

This has been asked for more than once in the ideas section  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Ideas/Support-for-Amazon-on-Demand/idi-p/128200 beyond me and everyone else why it has not been implemented.

1 Like

Thank God I didn’t buy any movies from them, this does not bode well for owned digital content, this will definately scare off anyone who was considering purchasing films with them, or any online service…Not good…

Well, I’m infering from the announcement that anything you bought will still be playable on OTHER devices … just the WD’s are not going to be supported by Blockbuster anymore.

Interesting to me is that both BB and CinemaNow both use the Roxio engine.

I wonder if this bodes death for CN, too…

Yeah, but what if you don’t own another Blockbuster capable device?  You just got hosed…You would need to buy ANOTHER  device to play your content, when you have a perfectly good device to begin with…

Blockbuster nor CinemaNow is as prevalent as Netflix or VUDU for that matter…At least with the Hub one can download their purchased films… IMO, this is a BAD omen for digital distribution of content, particularly electronic sell-through…The Roxio interface, BTW, really stinks…

The email said they are updating their technology, you mean to tell me a firmware update can’t solve the issue? BTW, how are they going to remove the app? via firmware update?

With things like this going on, how is the public going to have confidence to BUY movies in digital format?  If  Hollywood wants the public to BUY digital movies, this is not the way to go, fellas!

donthetech wrote:

The email said they are updating their technology, you mean to tell me a firmware update can’t solve the issue? BTW, how are they going to remove the app? via firmware update?

Not everything can be solved by a firmware update. They don’t have to remove the app immediately it will probably just stop working.

donthetech wrote:

With things like this going on, how is the public going to have confidence to BUY movies in digital format?  If  Hollywood wants the public to BUY digital movies, this is not the way to go, fellas!

As to why it’s not going to be addressed by WD, that would only be conjecture on anyone’s part…  It’s either a technical incompatibility, a contractual issue, or who knows what else…  We can probably all spin up controversies… :slight_smile:

But as of now, there are ZERO compatible “Media Players” on BB’s website…  It’s only PCs, Bluray players, Phones, and only Samsung TVs… so whatever it is, it’s not just WD that is got nixed…

Blockbuster and CinemaNow never worked right for me. I like Vudu, but I have a Kindle, and I have Amazon Instant Video on the Roku upstairs, and it would be awfully nice if WD would add Amazon, too.

Speaking of buying digital content “you own”, if you haven’t heard of UltraViolet, check it out  http://www.uvvu.com/ 

It was quietly launched this past fall with a few titles, and by this fall the big push will be on full steam.  Backed by big bucks Hollywood movie producers and companies like Sony, UltraViolet proports to be the answer to having all your movie media available everywhere.  When you read how complicated the concept is and is to manage by the masses, it will not be a shock to find out later on that it failed because the majority of movie watchers could not get it figured out or even care about it!  Amazon, Redbox or Netflix will have no fear of UltraViolet.

I am very familiar with the Ultraviolet ecosystem…Actually I really like what it offers IF it  is deployed as advertised…My only concern is it’s HD download capability…However, if what happened with Blockbuster is an omen of things to come, no way am I going to be a part of it…I happen to own movies on VUDU, and accessing them has been a non-issue so far…

Hollywood always talks about SALES of digital content, that they want the consumer to buy movies again…I am a supporter of electronic sell-through…Hopefully they will get their act together…

Blockbuster’s move is not due to some technological shift which makes playback impossible on set-top devices, despite what their email says.  TiVo customers got the same email.  The move is a business decision.  Blockbuster is a company in trouble, being sold out piece-by-piece to other companies.  It was speculated some time ago that Blockbuster paid WD, TiVo, etc. to carry the service on their devices in order to expand their audience for selling digital content.  Perhaps they just reevaluated things and terminated those agreements.

Not just WD and TiVo… *ALL* Media Players .

Blockbusters’ compatible device list shows that, aside from PC and Mobile devices, *ONLY* Samsung TV and Samsung Home Theater products are being supported.

Looks like BB is getting into an exclusive agreement with Samsung.

who actually used blockbuster anyway?  their prices were so high i never bothered to use it.   another reason most of their stores closed.  they’re their own worst enemy.

besides VUDU  seems alot better with better prices/options.