Noticed audio and video out of sync with Youtube and *.flv files

Hi,

Just bought the WD TV Live Hub and am testing it out. Tried playing some downloaded *.flv files downloaded from youtube and found that the audio and video are noticably out of sync…I think the audio is lagging the video slightly but noticably. I didn’t notice this issue on alternate player I tried out. Is there a fix planned or is there a way of resolving this.

I also tried viewing a few video directly on youtube and noticed the same issue. I’m using the latest firmware…i.e. first thing I did was upgrade the firmware after getting up and running today.

Thank-you,

Charles

Can you post a link to one of the YouTube videos that suffers from the sync issue?

Hi Grant,

I first noticed the issue yesterday afternoon upon initial testing of the unit. The first video I played (i.e. from and *.FLV downloaded version on a USB drive i.e. downloaded thru Realplayer downloader).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4GKBkQEv8

There is a lot of facial close ups in this video making it the kind where you would notice an out of sync issue (i.e. with respect to audio seeming to lag video slightly…the issue is subtle but I noticed it (i.e. yesterday morning)

The next video I tried playing thru using the Youtube services was as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOArsNMVqGg

There are facial close ups as well as clapping and finger snapping that can make an out of sync issue be more noticeable. When I played this video yesterday afternoon I couldn’t help but notice some out of sync issues.

My wife and I tried playing some youtube videos last night thru the youtube service i.e. using the WD TV Live Hub unit. Our experience last night was NOT objectionable from a sync perspective…In fact after viewing a number of videos this way, most of which were musical singing performances with facial close-ups I was relieved to find it to be acceptable. After that experience I wanted to go a replay the above two videos (i.e. the ones provided in the links above) to confirm if I still noticed an issue.

I went and tested the videos above on Youtube and did not notice an objectionable level of skewing between the audio and video. I also test the downloaded *.FLV file (i.e. associated with the first link above) I had and didn’t notice objectionable skewing.

So it seems that this was a red herring…I’m thinking that perhaps seeing these videos on a larger screen makes the sync issues more noticable than when playing on a computer. Either that or somehow something changed between the time I viewed these video yesterday afternoon and last night and this morning etc…

Thank-you,

Charles 

Watching both of them on my PC via Chrome browser:   I can see a notable loss of sync.  About 100ms or so.   The Tom Jones video was maybe 120 or so.

Is the Sync issue WORSE on the Live?  As in measurably different?  Yes, a larger screen make make it Perceived worse, because you can see the visual cues more clearly.

Hey Charles,

I downloaded both FLV files using YouTube Downloader HD.

Both played back fine via USB drive, or at least played no worse than when viewed on my PC.  As Tony says, there are some subtle sync issues in the files themselves.  

Checking out the originals using the Hub’s YouTube service, they also play back no differently than on PC.

Which I think is basically what you’re now saying.  :)

Hi Tony,

Yesterday afternoon the skew seemed perceptibly worse on the WD TV Live Hub…but as I mentioned upon further viewing of both these video last night and this morning, and also having viewed many other videos of its kind, I have concluded that this is not an issue with the product.

Thank-you for taking the time to review this issue.

Regards,

Charles

Just to throw in something else - As these are both TV shows its very likely that they are miming. 

The first video (Act Naturally) is definitely miming.  I think that’s just standard for the day.

The Tom Jones video I’m not so sure… his rampant finger snapping and clapping is real enough!  Plus, he’s a bloody good singer (not my style but the talent is undeniable).  :)

It’s standard for 38 years ago, too… :wink:

On “Top Of The Pops” nobody had been truly “live” since The Who in 1972, when Iron Maiden insisted on being live, and not miming, in 1980.

Actually, while I’m playing triviamaster, Maiden had made similar demands when they were asked to appear on a German TV show as well, but that station wouldn’t allow it.  EMI insisted they do the show anyway, so they turned it into a big joke.  They started off “normally”, and then started running around the stage, “playing” each other’s instruments, while the soundtrack kept playing normally.  They were determined to make it clear that it wasn’t a live performance. :smileyvery-happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzqGQkLMo9o

Is what you blokes call “miming” what us senseless Yanks call “Lip Synch?”  (not in the Video Player / audio sense, but the Milli Vanili Sense?)

Yep.  That be it, Tony.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Is what you blokes call “miming” what us senseless Yanks call “Lip Synch?”  (not in the Video Player / audio sense, but the Milli Vanili Sense?)

Thats it. I must admit now that I think Tom was live and he was doing all that clicking to keep in time.