Not all music folders displaying in folder view

Not sure if anyone has experienced this? On the internal drive,  I have a music folder with about 650 folders by artist… when I view by folder, I only see around 350 folders. Viewing by artist I can see everything, and all my music is on the iTunes server so I know it’s all compiled. I prefer folder view because not all of the artist data is correct. How come the folder view doesn’t display all the folders? I would think this would be the simplest view since it’s just how the hard drive looks. I have no clue why it’s not displaying correctly

A similar problem here. Also folders containing pictures as well as individual files do not show up (they are on the drive as I can read them from my PC). Any suggestions?

Pielhaas, I don’t think it’s at all similar. Picture folders will only show up on PHOTOS. Is that where you’re looking? And what do you mean by individual files not showing up?

mzaur wrote:

Not sure if anyone has experienced this? On the internal drive,  I have a music folder with about 650 folders by artist… when I view by folder, I only see around 350 folders. Viewing by artist I can see everything, and all my music is on the iTunes server so I know it’s all compiled. I prefer folder view because not all of the artist data is correct. How come the folder view doesn’t display all the folders? I would think this would be the simplest view since it’s just how the hard drive looks. I have no clue why it’s not displaying correctly

. Are all the files the same type? The WD won’t index them if theyre not supported.

I’m having the same problem, but I have both folders and media files that are missing.

As for the type question, I have other files with the same type that are listed, so I have no reason to think it’s a type problem.

Do they show up in the FILES menu?

No, they’re not listed in the files either. Yet when I navigate to the same directory from my PC they’re there.

I’ve spent much of the last week trying to sort this problem out, and have been writting batch files to rename stuff removing non text characters, I’ve got folders missing with no odd char’s, and stuff with some typical char’s (-._ ) that show up.

Ok, on your PC that’s sharing the files, open up a COMMAND window.

Change directories to the ROOT of your media folder.

Type the command:

dir /s >> output.txt

That will create a text file called OUTPUT.TXT.

Open that in NOTEPAD, and COPY all of the text.

Paste it into a message here.

Then point out some of the ones that do not show up.

kind of funny, that’s how I was getting the list of files to write my batch renames.

Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\2Pac and Danny Boy\All Eyez On Me Remastered
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\2Pac and Danny Boy\All Eyez On Me Remastered\1-13 I Aint Mad At Cha.m4p
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\2Pac CPO Danny Boy and Syke\All Eyez On Me Remastered
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\2Pac CPO Danny Boy and Syke\All Eyez On Me Remastered\2-07 Picture Me Rollin.m4p
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\4 Non Blondes\Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\4 Non Blondes\Bigger, Better, Faster, More!\03 Whats Up_.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\50 Cent\Ayo Technology  Single
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\50 Cent\Ayo Technology  Single\01 Ayo Technology.m4p
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Allure and 112\Allure
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Allure and 112\Allure\06 All Cried Out.m4p
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Avril Lavigne\Girlfriend  Single
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Avril Lavigne\Girlfriend  Single\01 Girlfriend.m4p
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1\1-01 If I Were A Boy.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1\1-02 Halo.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1\1-03 Disappear.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1\1-04 Broken-Hearted Girl.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1\1-06 Smash Into You.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1\1-07 Satellites.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Beyoncé\I Am…Sasha Fierce [Disc 1\1-08 Thats Why Youre Beautiful.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Bone Thugs-N-Harmony\E. 1999 Eternal
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Bone Thugs-N-Harmony\E. 1999 Eternal\07 Budsmokers Only.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Bone Thugs-N-Harmony\E. 1999 Eternal\08 Tha Crossroads.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Bone Thugs-N-Harmony\E. 1999 Eternal\12 1st Of Tha Month.m4a
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Bone Thugs-N-Harmony featuring Akon\I Tried  Single
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Bone Thugs-N-Harmony featuring Akon\I Tried  Single\01 I Tried.m4p
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Brad Paisley\Mud On the Tires
Z:\network_sync\MCROW-D620\TiffanyMusic\Brad Paisley\Mud On the Tires\09 Whiskey Lullaby.m4p

here’s a sample

The 2Pac’s are missing so are 50 cent, Allure,Bone Thugs-N-Harmony featuring Akon, but Bone Thugs-N-Harmony is listed, Brad P’s missing. Now maybe it filters out the really bad music (these are my daughters, which is a much smaller sample to work with)?

Like I said, I’ve removed the ’ " ( ) % , well it looks like [ is still there, but those songs are listed. There’s 444 files in the branch, it lists that there are 380 some songs. I have some 150,000 mp3’s and after compling for a couple days, it only found ~70,000, which is why I switched to a smaller directory to work with. The copys goes really quickly, compling is another matter.

Could it be that the ones you mention are .m4p and the ones that are working are .m4a?

M4P are DRM’d AAC files, right?  The Hub is not going to play those.

good catch!

That looks very close for the folder I listed, I’m checking the other one to see if there’s a lot of m4p in it.

And I’m not sure on the DRM/ACC comment, but it’s very well possible.

Good thing it wasn’t a snake…

If that looks promissing, I’ll start uploading the other folders and see what I get.

Thanks!

Following what has been written in the mean time I do think I experience excatly the same problem. Sure, pictures show up under PHOTOS, but the symptoms are identical. Some pictures are not listed under PHOTOS and are also not listed under FILES. In addition to  pictures there are also directories that are not listed under FILES.

I have contected WD they suggested to delete all files and copy them onto the Hub again. Sounds like a good idea? 

No, I would suggest you read the thread and see if the same solution applies to YOU.

I have been looking more closely at the files that are not listed by the Hub. It appears they all have a filename that also contains the name of the folder they are in. Thus something like: WDTVLiveHub\Pictures\2010\Vacation\Vacation 001.jpg. If one changes the name of the file into, for example, “Holidays 001.jpg”  it will show up. Rename it to back to “Vacation 001.jpg” and it no longer appears. Have some you noticed the same, or is this just related to my box?

pielhaas wrote:

I have been looking more closely at the files that are not listed by the Hub. It appears they all have a filename that also contains the name of the folder they are in. Thus something like: WDTVLiveHub\Pictures\2010\Vacation\Vacation 001.jpg. If one changes the name of the file into, for example, “Holidays 001.jpg”  it will show up. Rename it to back to “Vacation 001.jpg” and it no longer appears. Have some you noticed the same, or is this just related to my box?

I think you just might be a genius.  I’m having the same issues with my pictuyres and it’s driving me crazy, but the vast majority of them share the same name as the folder they’re in.

Sure enough I tested your theory and it worked beautifully.  Note that you don’t have to drastically chnge the name of the folder.

for instance, a folder named “Jenny” with all the files named “Jenny 001”, “Jenny 002”, etc. will not display any of the pictures.  However, if you change the folder name to “JennyPics”, that will fix it.  You have to restart the device in the menu which will make it recompile for the changes to show up.  It looks like the file cannot have the exact same word as the folder name or you’re screwed. 

This seems like something that WD could fix very easily, but in the meantime at least there’s a simple workaround.

I just don’t understand.  Ripped a CD with iTunes onto my Live Hub.  The files showed up everywhere, except on the Hub’s own media player (no media in that folder was the message).  Changed a few of the file names (removed the number “1” signifying that it was CD 1 of a set).

Next time I’m on the Live Hub, there they are - all the songs.  So - I changed the file names back to what they were, and they were still there.

I’d like to avoid going through this again, if anyone can tell me what the heck just happened.

i have the same problem with only music related folders.

movies show up fine, photos as well but only a third of all folders in the “music” section.

i have 1870 artists, folders synced through the Hub, and the maximum ammount it showed up is close to 700.

i did restart, reset, delete and copy again (hated that part), in any possible order.

i let the device search for 48 hours without touching anything meanwhile.

no succes.

in the file section it shows up sometimes, but not always. the randomness of the results drives me crazy.