New Release - WD TV Live Hub Firmware Version 3.12.13 (7/23/2013)

pjones1778 wrote:

Yes, that is pretty funny you “Esteemed Contributors” think that WD can keep up with the two biggest operating system companies in the world. You must still be laughing, cause i am. Mostly at the thought that you even tried comparing to Miscosoft and Apple :smileyvery-happy: indeed. WD is a great company for hardware only as they do provide great support, or replacements of their mecanical flaws.

You all, as well as I know that companies dont follow through. I know the probability of you all releasing the code is slim to none but it doesnt hurt to try and make something that is great even better. I plan on keeping mine until it dies, and I was just hopeing that someone in the community can do more improvements to what was shelved by the WD team, as we can see this is the best you can do. Just dissapointed as I am sure many are.

It was good while it lasted. This is my last WD media device. Too bad. I had high hopes.

Just so you know, WD would never release any proprietary code for general consumption.  Nobody would.

I’ll buy their new box, next never! Not supporting a product only after 3 and a half years is slack, espcially at the price we have paid. WD toke a page from the Boxee box. This thing has already turned into a bricked XBOX console w/ custom firmware.

hi, i´m upgrading right now and it´s been an hour since my wd tv is rebooting, anyone knows why? thanks

hi i´m upgrading my wd tv to the latest firmware and it is just showing the sign rebooting, doesnot do anything else, it´s benn like that all day, please what should i do? thanks

Unplugged all external HDDs and LAN network from Hub. Download update on USB stick. Unplugged Hub’s powere supply. Plug it in. This should jump start your update.

WDTV has update problems in case you have used a pendrive with more than 4GB capacity, I had that problem sometime ago and I fixed it using 2GB pendrive.

Good Luck

Best regards
Ariel

hello,
I have a WD TV Live Hub Media Center.
plays very well the movie, but subtitles are a big problem.
MP4 I never have subtitles. the files in the same folder with the same name. can there once found a solution to this problem. otherwise I have to go buy another device…

Well, i just tested an MP4 with external ( *srt ) subtitles playing back on the Internal HDD and they work fine

(press the “Options” button and select the Subtitle)

But, if you’re streaming via DLNA ( Media Shares/Server ) then that’s probably the problem

(and buying a different device won’t solve the problem)

(Media Servers are renowned for problems with subtitles … from memory/guessing, subtitles need to be “embedded”)

If you are “Streaming” … then use Network Shares , which should solve the problem

I rip DVD in ISO format with subtitles. My subtitles always play nicely. You might try ripping to ISO to see if this solves your problem. Plus you get the full quality of the original DVD rather than compressed MP4. 

treker wrote:

I rip DVD in ISO format with subtitles. My subtitles always play nicely. You might try ripping to ISO to see if this solves your problem. Plus you get the full quality of the original DVD rather than compressed MP4. 

ISO’s aren’t supported either if he’s using a DLNA ( Media Shares/Server

back on Topic : MP4 with External Subtitles will work Locally (playing off an attached USB drive) and also via Network Shares

Media Shares (DLNA Server) in 99% of cases won’t recognise “External Subs” they need to “Embedded” subtitles  (easily done by muxing them in the MP4)

I’m pretty sure that’s what’s emergency’s problem will be.

my tv ive hub has recently started playing up. firmware is the same (3.12.13 - unlucky 13?). I even get the problem playing the example media files on the local drive so I don’t think it’s network related. Today I did a reset and spent several hours watching a number of episodes of Dr Who off my WD BookLive (got a bad cold so sofa came into it’s own). Anyway, I left the unit switched on, went to do some shopping for about an hour. Returned and tried to play another episode of Dr Who on my return - circle of death.

Maybe, it has to be something to do with the unit doing some scanning (media library is set to manual for content) when idle?.

It seems to me WD are walking away from this - the problem has existed for many years (looking at the formums) though I’ve been lucky to be unaffected by it till recently. The very least WD could do is release the source code and enable FTP/SSH access to the box. Going open source would allow loads of techies to fix the outstanding problems (IMHO).

I used to be a happy WD customer but now I’m not so sure.

Have you added anything new to your network recently? Some of those posts about the circle of death as I recall, mentioned Samsung phones causing issues. New tablet?

Read my story: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Can-t-access-any-Files-all-of-a-sudden-Organge-Spinning-Circle/td-p/742582

Dear UncleBrian, orange circle in Hub is not circle of death. As long as you have orange circle it is fixable. Did you tried hard reset?
Also it could be faulty video file.

GPL code is available on WD website.

Hi,

i am wondering if i use the reset buttom under the device, do i lose my data stored on the hard drive?

It just resets system to default.

foetus wrote:
It just resets system to default.

It just resets system settings to default

No, it does not wipe / delete / format your Internal HDD

Hi,

Do you know if other update can arrive or if this version 3.12.13 is the last for the wd tv live hub media center, in this case I have no hope to see netflix in my wd…

thanks

There is plan for the final 4.0.0 fw to be available on the first Wednesday in April. So check back for the announcement and link.

thank you very much for your answer

roross wrote:

Do you know if other update can arrive or if this version 3.12.13 is the last for the wd tv live hub media center, in this case I have no hope to see netflix in my wd…

The Hub already has NetFlix – if you’re in a country that supports the Hub.   If you don’t have netflix now, it’s not likely any firmware will add it.  (No firmware release for the Hub ever added netflix to hubs that didn’t already have it.)