New Release - WD TV Live Hub Firmware Version 3.12.13 (7/23/2013)

“Yeah… you got hosed by Western Digital. Sell it and cut your losses.”

Great support community… no… really…

Too bad nothing ever gets fixed, but things get more more and more broken as this device “updates”.

This is going way off topic

Agree.  Way off topic, and way off into nowhere.  My apologies for not hanging around in this thread to disagree with Clinton, but I (we) have better things to do.  I hope Clinton does to.  Time to move on everyone.  It is OK to not be happy with a product, but to get obsessive and compulsive to go on and on about not being happy about it is a bit disfunctional.  Jeeze, get a different product and move on!!

I’m sorry guys.  This thread should not have been closed.  These threads are here for the purpose of getting information from users on how the firmware is working (or not working) with their devices.  We do escalate issues that arise.

However, the thread did get off track.  Please keep the thread on track with your experiences that arise from the current firmware.  We do pay attention even if we aren’t necessarily responding.

Bill_S

1 Like

ClintonHammond wrote:
“Why are you still here?”
Because I’d like WD to FIX this lousy piece of junk that I was stupid enough to buy from them.

That they haven’t even fixed Favourites yet is indicative of just how much disdain WD has for their customers. We get treated like a baby treats a diaper.

And yes… Support for animated gifs is on my list… a 200 dollar “media hub”?? Yer sweet skippy that’s a feature it should support…

That this is THE forum for WD Hub users/lovers and no-one has taken me up on my offer to sell/swap mine tells me that even the people who love the WD Hub don’t really even want it.

We have been trying to reach you via private messages in order to contact you and work with you to find a suitable resolution. Please reply to the private message that was sent to you with the requested information so we can contact you.

MKV wont play

AVI wont play. 

This is a piece of junk. I am furious. The movie starts and then it just blanks out and returns to the menu. So frustrating.

1 Like

Are you positive you are using quality files?  Did you create them, or did “someone else”?

I feel your pain, McGusto.  

My cellphone plays videos that the WD Hub won’t.  

Frustrating indeed.  

Had the same problem as macgusto. MKV and AVI which played nicely before wasn’t playing anymore. Had to step back,

Lifted from the 3.11.0 thread becuase this issue hasn’t been addressed in this update.  This is impacting WD users in the UK.

"So over and above the appallingly laggy performance that others have mentioned my biggest issue since upgrading to 3.11.10 is the performance of iPlayer, which appears to have been completely broken in this version.

I upgraded THREE LiveHubs to this version of firmware and all three are exhibiting the same symptoms:

• No sound - iPlayer will start and play, but with no sound, it takes a reset to get sound, but after I watch any of my files and then go back to iPlayer another time the same issue presents itself
  • About ten minutes into watching a program a banner will pop up on the screen saying “your are now watching with subtitles turned off”, when no change was made to the viewing preferences
  • iPlayer will regularly just stop playing, the swirly circle will come up and I’ll then get booted out to that programs splash screen - I have a gigabit network and fiber broadband, so internet speed is not an issue and wasn’t on my previous version of firmware (I also have a TV with inbuilt iPlayer in the Kitchen that works flawlessly)
  • iPlayer stops playing and displays a 404 error message advising that the there has been an issue with the server or something to that effect.

It cannot be a coincidence that three players previously running firmware version 3.06.14 and that had flawless iPlayer performance are all exhibiting the same issues since upgrading to 3.11.10. 

A factory reset also doesn’t clear the problem.

Anyone else seeing this issue?"

As the last thread was closed, nay chance us UK users could get a response from WD on this one?

Oh, and yes my favourites are also broken.

Guys,

I just upgraded the firmware, and now the whole thing seems to be dead.  The light on the box keeps flashing, and it says Loading on the tv…

What’s going on? Do they not test these firmware upgrades before publishing?

How do I downgrade back the stupid firmware? I tried the USB drive technique but it won’t read it… so frustrated… I don’t have time for this sh#%t.

Any help would be appreciated.

This release doesn’t include my hopes with maybe “Resolved various UI translation issues”  as the exception.  If that means sluggish menu response when 24p is selected fix, I’m interested!  Based on user feedback here, this release is scary to try for the changes reaped.

My question is…  Is it necessary to update each firmware consecutively, ie: 3.10.09, then 3.11.10, then 3.12.13 or can I skip from say 3.8.14 strait to 3.12.13?

Yes you can

LiveHub wrote:

If that means sluggish menu response when 24p is selected fix, 

Well, you have to think of it this way. If you permanently set the UI to 24p, the animations are slowed by 40% since there’s fewer animation cells per second displayed.

But I’d be curious why you set it to 24p instead of using Auto Framerate, which leaves the UI at 60p, while setting playback to 24p for 24p content.

my W TV Live hub froze after my update to 3.12.13…

It is stuck on th WD TV LiveHub logo… what can I do… will my movie library be lost?

@ TonyPh12345  Thanks for that bit of information… that works, but I don’t feel stupid since “framerate” is not contained in the manual.  Hope this also helps others who don’t normally do Auto.

My firmware wish:

I stopped trying to retain RGB-High and just leave to whatever it reboots to, RGB low or  YCbCr; I have no idea which… I only know it’s not RGB-High.  Is this another case to set to “Auto” and is Auto most comonly YCbCr?  I used to set my TV’s brightness, etc. for RGB-High and manually set Hub to RGB-High every time I accessed it, but since it refuses to retain RGB-High, I stopped fighting it.  Another subject barely in the manual.  Wish RGB-High were persistent over HDMI regardless of what Hub is falsely hearing from my TV.

Yes, Auto frame rate reads the native resolution and, therefore, makes for a more responsive Menu.

However, after checking with good gray scale test patterns / AVSHD 709 , blacks are slightly “crushed”.

With Auto, some options are unavailable, and sadly I can’t eek out my best picture.

My best picture is with:
1080p/24fps
RGB Low (which I think is full RGB - Would be more appropriately named RGB “High” or RGB 0-255)
12 Bit (this is not selectable after having selected framerate Auto)

I realize these settings don’t correspond to what is on a retail bluray, ie: full RGB is typically for PC use…
and 12 bit video (4:4:4) is non-existent on a BD - LiveHub must be a good chroma scaler.
My TV accepts full RGB and apparently the conversion to RGB is best performed by the LiveHub.
The gray scale range with settings described above is by-eye perfect - full range zero black crush or white bloom.

So my firmware hope still stands that LiveHub retain user settings… my post above.

Note that I adjust parameters on the TV to correct for full RGB.

The difference in PQ improvement using LiveHub Auto vs Manual (TV tweaked both ways) is about 15% better w/ Manual.

Hello!

I have the same problem with the favorites! Made a reset but still it remains! WD must correct this at the next update!

Hello,

As for some folks in this topic, the firmware update to v3.12.13 badly froze my WD TV Live Hub.

I’m stuck with the blue “WD TV LiveHub” splash screen, with or without the USB key plugged in the front slot.

The hub does not appear on the network either.

Using the “reset” button under the box will not work (with both device powered on and device powered off).

Really need some operational help here.

Pierre.

Any word on updates ? I think I read something about the TVDB and TMDB API changing and the reason why fetching is not working in some cases.