Network Sync Question

I want to start using network Sync for my video files.  My Hub Drive currently is my main source for all my videos. I have moved them there via network sharing from multiple computers around the house.  This has worked wonderful but I want to eliminate the point of failure of the Hub Drive and sync from one drive on the network. (no NAS yet, just my PC’s and Mac)

what is the best way to set this up?  Copy my video folder from my hub to this new folder and then move all new video’s to this folder and set up the sync from this folder? 

Thanks. Hope this makes sense.

The Network Sync is limited to one location at a time, so you need to keep all of your stuff in one location on your PC. The Hub creates a new directory structure on it’s internal drive - \network_sync\computer_name\sharename etc. I think it is better to let the Hub create the directory structure itself, I’m not sure if it will copy stuff over if you do it manually. Bear in mind that syncing only happens when the Hub is in standby and if you have a lot of stuff to copy it could take a lot of time to update the first time. After the first time syncing is faster, but you do need to keep the Hub in standby. It also seems that sync is only one way, if I delete something from the original, the Hub doesn’t seem to delete it from the Hub sync copy. I’m also not sure if you update a file that already exists the Hub will update the sync copy. If you have all of your stuff in the same place, and you don’t mind keeping your Hub in standby, network sync works pretty well, if slowly.

I would definitely keep you stuff on your PC with a backup on the Mac. Then use the Hubs network sync to make a working copy on the Hub.

Great information, thank you.  In order to preserve space on the Hub,  after I do a network sync and the new sync folder is created on the hub I would want to delete the video files I already there correct? (since I would now have two exact copies of everything on the Hub.)

finndog wrote:

Great information, thank you.  In order to preserve space on the Hub,  after I do a network sync and the new sync folder is created on the hub I would want to delete the video files I already there correct? (since I would now have two exact copies of everything on the Hub.)

Yes. If you are using the Media library the files will show up twice if you don’t delete them. Its better to keep a duplicate copy on your PC or Mac or both.