Network Error

Can someone tell me WTF is going on with this? Everytime I try to transfer a file from my computer to this, it starts out at 10mb/s then just goes down to nothing and I get this. It’s real annoying and I feel like this hub is breaking.

Come on guys… if I can’t fix this. I will take back this thing. This is unacceptable!

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

It maybe that that drive is not mapped anymore, try just copying straight to WDTVlivehub in the network.

Sounds like your network needs help.   If it can only manage 10 megabits per second, that’s bad to begin with.  You should be able to get more than 50 megabits per second doing file copies.   I can get more than 80 or 90, wired or wireless.

That error usually means that Windows has lost contact with the device.

Right, but it streams movies from my hardrive without any sync errors, or anything. Just a couple days ago, it was transfering files at 10mb/s. It’s whenever I try to transfer files now, that I get that message. I haven’t changed any settings to my computer, or the hub… or anything and, it’s connected via ethernet cable. I really am at a loss here.

This may not be what’s wrong, but it sounds like you have a bad cable or connection.  This can cause interminttent disruption of the signal, which might affect file transfer but not affect streaming.

You should try another cable, if possible and see if it does the same thing.

If it does, you may want to download a real time network monitoring software (there are a few free ones on the net), and monitor the connection to see if the connection is dropping only when you transfer files.

I didn’t think of using a different cable! I will try that and get back to the thread.

I don’t think its hardware.

Streaming would get affected as well if the cable was broke.

It’s more like a network problem, as in something to do with mapping of drives, and it retaining the information of what is where.

When the Hub is streaming, its not looking at mapped drives, it does it from the share source, the mapped drive is what it says. I would disconnect all mapped drives, and create a new one with the discovery tool or manually.

Then try a small file, and move onto a bigger one till you hit the glitch, then you should try moving a file from the hub to your PC and see if that works.

Actually, the HUB buffers about 2 to 3 sec. of streaming files, so if the interuption is just interminttent, then streaming may not be affected, but will affect file transfer.

Also, your transfer speed is about right if you actually meant 10MBps (not Mbps which is bytes vs. bits), which would be about 80Mbps.  That’s about as fast are you are going to get copying to the HUB.

For safe measure you should also try

1. Full shutdown of PC

2. power off the hub [pull power cable],

3. power off the router [pull power cord]

4. power on router after 10 seconds

5. power on PC

6. power on hub

If that doesnt work you can do some repair on the PC side for networking… kind of a refresh.

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
    cmd
  2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
  3. Reboot the computer.

This should eliminate the PC as a cause if still not working