Need expandable storage for WDTV Live Hub - Options?

Hi all. I’m running out of storage on the WDTV.

I typically rip all Blurays to MKV quality (Ranging between 8-40GB in size). Very high quality DTS audio and 1080p is a must – No exceptions.

The WDTV plays these files without issue. How should I go about expanding storage? I have two options it seems – USB based storage array, or network storage array.

I need a storage array with raid for redundancy.  

Right now I’m considering a ReadyNAS NV+ or Drobo.

Would I be able to “Stream” to my WDTV using DLNA with no loss in A/V quality? All components will be hard wired with a gigabit connection.

Thanks in advance.

I was in the same position you were until about 7 months ago.  There are several options out there if you’re in need of a networked NAS. 

I personally have chosen unRAID as my option based on it’s features.  Unlike some options, unRAID offers users the simplicity of a one drive parity as it’s backup feature instead of 1:1 HD redundancy.  So, in case of drive failure(which will happen eventually), all you would need to do is swap out the bad drive with a brand new drive and let the parity drive rebuild it with the same exact data…  what’s even better tho’ is that there is ABSOLUTELY no  data loss during the process. Even if you have not replaced the broken drive you can still enjoy all of your files after you remove the bad drive while waiting to replace it with the new. 

I have 2  O.G. WD Live boxes and a HUB connected to my network and all have a perfect relationship with my unRAID box!  Check it out  unRAID  …and good luck with whatever you decide on!

Thank you - I went with the Drobo FS and have had 0 issues with it.

I would suggest as an alternative to the worthy options already mentioned that you might want to consider Windows 8.  It will have redundancy similar to the Windows Home Server.

I hope this is helpful.