My initial concerns

I had the Western Digital Live Hub but I returned it because it has no Netflix, no wifi and the player takes forever to index all my files every single time I shutt it down.

I pre-ordered the Boxee Box, and theres no turning back.

I have tried the software, and its really slick, interface and all.

Also, theres a chance that it will support Netflix for Canada.  

Not even just that, but its got a ton of apps you can download, shows and everything.

Western Digital lost themself a customer, for life.

On a side note, the BestBuy employee told me that they have a 90%+ refund rate for the Hub and Live Plus.

And thats just in my little town London Ontario.  I imagine theres thousands being retrurned in Canada.

I returned 3 of WD products in a week because of no Netflix Support aswell.

At the end of the day, I don’t actually need netflix in my particular case.

I am shopping for a device for my mom for xmas which I will preload, and she doesn’t want to spend the subscription money right now. I need a device that has great software because it is easy to use and automatically tags metadata and gets posters etc.

The three best looking software Ive seen are boxee, this WD software and windows media center. I dont have the funds to put together a windows media center PC (or HTPC) though. The boxee box however has some formfactor problems that are going to be tough in my mom’s entertainment area. This WD is ridiculously small, and I very much appreciate that.

It looks like I may have to try and use the mediainfo app it recommends in the manual to tag everything myself. I don’t mind that too much though, but Im still testing and comparing between boxee software and this WD software.

melll wrote:

On a side note, the BestBuy employee told me that they have a 90%+ refund rate for the Hub and Live Plus.

Yeah, right…  It’s been demonstrated here (and other forums) time and time again that Best Buy employees have absolutely no clue about their merchandise…     :wink:

90% return rate? That would make the news dude…the older wd tv devices were great in my opinion, and the Hub looks like its going to keep up that proud tradition. It has Netflix support in the US, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it come to Canada. If you read Moderator Bills post on the subject, it sounded pretty opitmistic to me. The device’s menus rock and are themable. It can pull media content (posters + desc.) if you have a net connection. It has Wifi- you just need to use a supported Wifi card- just like almost every device out there that supports wifi. Very few have integrated at this point- and the ones that do…usually implement it poorly. As for it indexing every time you shut it down, it is designed to index in the backround when your not using it. It will only take forever if your changing the content frequently and not ever leaving it alone.

melll wrote:

I returned 3 of WD products in a week because of no Netflix Support aswell.

You could always have just read the box, or done a quick peek on the internet, before grabbing something that won’t do what you’d like it to.

And I love how the BestBuy employees are (incorrectly) telling customers that it will work with NetFlix in Canada, despite the box saying it won’t, and then that becomes WD’s fault and not BestBuy’s fault.

Ardvark wrote:

… it is designed to index in the backround when your not using it. It will only take forever if your changing the content frequently and not ever leaving it alone.

That’s not entirely accurate.   It indexes every time you turn it on (from POWER-OFF), whether there are changes or not.   And, unfortuantely, the indexing does interfere with some functions.   You can’t do a search or filter while the media library is being compiled, for example…

Sounds like the WD Stuff is not for you.

I doubt the 90% return rate however.  I’ve recommended the Live to a lot of people and it works like a charm.  It’s not a “Do-Everything” device but for $100, it’s hard to complain.

The Hub has a few issues but I’m not planning on returning it.  I have it next to a very expensive HTPC and since I’ve owned the Hub, I haven’t found a need to turn on the HTPC.

Regarding NetFlix for Canada - I agree that Netflix needs to fix a couple things.  They need to enable it for my Sony PS3 AND my Hub.  And that’s only if they want me to pay for content.  In the absence of a good model to pay for content, me, and my fellow Canadians are happy to take it for free.

As my friend says…   If they wanted us to pay for it they would sell it to us.

Interesting debate!!  But 90%… 

Look here…  In my opinion, the only player better is the Dune HD Max but at $450 that’s not really an option for me.  I love this player for the features and it’s functionality.  I also think that it should not be purchased by people who need internet services such as Netflix and Blockbuster to be the primary features. 

…as a proclaimed BD Pirate… I have over 450 BD/DVD 1080p/720p/480p movies stored on this thing spread over (2) 1.5 TB and (1) 1.5 TB drives and I have experienced a delay when the media library is compiled, but not on every single boot up like was mentioned earlier.  As a matter of fact the HUB has only had to do this a few times and only after a device reset or when new media is added.  

What other player plays fully encapsulated DVD files in  either .VOB or .ISO formats with the menus and everything…WOWZERS!!  What other player would allow me to download the metadata for 95% of my BD/DVD files  to give background stills, cover art and movie info/credits.  I can stream data directly from my PC to HUB/WD TV Live or between the two devices.

What can’t you do with this thing??..

“What other player plays fully encapsulated DVD files in  either .VOB or .ISO formats with the menus and everything…WOWZERS!!  What other player would allow me to download the metadata for 95% of my BD/DVD files  to give background stills, cover art and movie info/credits.  I can stream data directly from my PC to HUB/WD TV Live or between the two devices.”

This Live Hub sounds exactly what I need.  I don’t own any of WD TV other media players (mainly because I wanted a nice GUI and a player that has the ability to download movie info, cover art, etc).  Can someone provide some screenshots of the background stills, cover art and movie info/credits that the player provides?  Likewise, does anyone know where it is getting this metadata from (i.e. IMDB or TMDB or something else)?  Finally, for the metadata, does it also have the ability to download or link trailers for your movie library?

Anyway, this is exactly the type of portable media player that I have been waiting for and will most likely purchase it.

Thanks in advance for any who can provide or answer my questions.

TheMovieDB.org is where the metadata comes from.

Thanks for the reply.  I also had OG_CpTHOOK send me pics of what I wanted to see.  Got to admit that I’m pretty impressed and will most likely get this next month.

Thanks again!

can u please post the pics here ?  i am interested on seeing the covers.movie info .ect…PLEASE ! 

I had to resize and crop the original images that I received in order to meet the requirements of this forum.  Those 3 pics were the ones that I received  from OG_CpTHOOK.  It should give you a good idea.

Hi,

i cant see the images that u uploaded( i only see a small square with a triangle)  :( can u please send me a pm and give me the link ?

this is what i see

You can upload on  http://imgur.com/ and send links here.

The pictures will be shown shortly. They have to be approved by the moderator.

Funny that it shows up on my screen, but when I tried it on a different PC, I didn’t see the images either.  Therefore, until they approve the images on the forum, here are some direct links from the original images:

Ya… they will show up on yours without waiting for approval… it’s just everyone else that can’t see them until approved.

But, for next time, you can embed pics from other host services… you don’t have to upload to WD and wait for approval or just post a link.

After you click the picture button, click the 3rd tab “From Another Site”… enter the url of your hosted pic and click “Load Image”.  If the picture is the correct size (Lithium has a limit to width and/or filesize apparently) you will see it load and then you can click “Insert Image”:

Of course, if you don’t want them embedded, just ignore me. :wink:

Okay, thanks for the info!