Media center hub + my book essentials external drive

I set up my WD Media Hub about a year ago, and I am not sure I set it up correctly. I intially copied movies from my son’s server to the internal 1 TB drive, useing about 3/4 of the space. I then added an 3TB external WD my book essentials drive by USB connection., and over the year downloaded movies and storeing them on the external drive (or so I thought).

Today I tried to copy a movie, and it states the drive is full, which is not possible.  However i believe that this past years movies may have been copied to the Media Hub. I had it set up as WDTVLiveHub\USBSYNC\MyBookMovies.

When I attached my external drive directlt to the PC I am unable to access anything, and Disk Management sees that its there, but states it has to be initialized. I tried that as by this time I believed the external drive was fried, but was unable to. Checked the drive with WD Diagnostics, which showed 0 GB on the drive.

Reading the manual it states the contents are “synced and copied” from the external drive to the WD Live Hub drive, which does not make sense to me as the whole reason is to ADD extra storage space.

Reconnected the ext drive to the media hub, looked at my network on the pc and changed it to; WDTVLiveHub\My_Book_\My Book Movies.

I don’t know if this is correct, or if the external drive has anything acually stored on it and the contents it shows are from USB Sync.  Any help, ideas or thoughts please on if I actually have  a problem, and how to fix it and how best to set up the external drive so additional movies are stored on it, not synced to the media center.

Hello,

If the drive is not seen on the computer and disk management says it has to be initialized then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to initialize it in order to use it again. Initializing the drive will erase all data stored on the drive.

Yes I know it has to be initialized, but I am unable to. When I try in Disk Management a message pops up “The specefied disk is not convertable because the size is less than the minimum size for GPT disks.”  When I tried WD diagnostics, it shows the disk as 0 GB.

Any other ideas?  Thanks.