Long Press of Remote Power Button!

WD TV LIVE Hub community,

Here is a  “TIP” that I would like to share for people who hate to see their WD TV LIVE HUB’s FAN keep spinning when powered off.

When our community member Tonyshared with me that a long press (More than 3 Secs) of the power button on the device will shutdown the WD TV LIVE HUB completely including the whirring FAN in the device I was curious to see if the same could be replicated using the REMOTE that comes along with WDTV LIVE HUB

I am pleased to share that - If you press and hold  the remote power button for more than 3 secs it will completely shutdown the WD TV LIVE HUB.

Now enjoy the peace and silence!! :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers!

:wink:

Heheh…  It’s no easter egg…  It’s documented in the manual.  ;)

Using the Remote Control

POWER  Suspends the device into sleep mode and turns off video output. Press 

and hold the power button for five seconds to completely shut down the 

media center.

Page 25 of the manual.

I agree it is no EASTER EGG, I have edited my posting and I feel stupid not reading the manual

Lesson learned - RTFM!

Personally I don’t find this a workable solution as there are usually several people using the hub and sometimes difficult to  instruct that need to hold down the button to switch off completely considering no other device requires this.

Please just add an option

Kinda curious, then, why did you buy the hub?   It was built to be left on all the time because it is a server.   If you don’t want the server functions, you would probably be happier with  a Live or Live+ instead.

Apollo wrote:

Personally I don’t find this a workable solution as there are usually several people using the hub and sometimes difficult to  instruct that need to hold down the button to switch off completely considering no other device requires this.

What other device are you comparing it with. The hub can be a media player and a simple NAS. If you want the NAS then its a short press and if you don’t its a long press.

I would like to see a config option to do a hard power off after x hours of inactivity.

If there were no network streaming activity, no hard disk activity, and no remote buttons for a couple of hours it would be ok in my situation to do the hard shutdown. It would need to ignore intermittent activity from services, like temperature updates from AccuWeather for example.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Kinda curious, then, why did you buy the hub?   It was built to be left on all the time because it is a server.   If you don’t want the server functions, you would probably be happier with  a Live or Live+ instead.

Didn’t buy it, was given to me as Xmas present…  & already have HD, Live, MB World & MB Live…

Agree with what your saying but it also has inbuilt storage; while the other alternative is Element’s Play which is crud (I also have it…) Plus Hub has a much better interface, your able to skip to desired spot & I dunno if it’s just me but it’s decodes mkv better.

richUK wrote:

Apollo wrote:

What other device are you comparing it with. The hub can be a media player and a simple NAS. If you want the NAS then its a short press and if you don’t its a long press.

Such as a normal DVD player…or name any AV device where you need to hold it down to completely switch off? I’m also using a Harmony One remote & I have to tell others who use it that to turn it off that they need to go back into devices and then hold down the button to completely turn it off. I’m going to see if I can add a macro in the remote to give me option for both but don’t see why the remote has to do this instead of the device.

Also when you switch it off completely it seems to have hdmi handshake issues and starts up with wrong res etc.

You aren’t understanding. The HUB was designed to remain ON 24x7. Your DVD player can’t also be a Twonky, Samba, or iTunes server. Making the thing shut down totally when you hit the power button (or, at least making that the default) would be contrary to that design principle.

I get that, but it would be nice to have option to switch it completely off without having to having to hold the button.

Maybe you can see this as in issue with the WD TV lineup rather then the HUB? There’s no other inbuilt storage except elements hence why a lot of people will buy and not for it’s streaming abilities…

Apollo wrote:

I get that, but it would be nice to have option to switch it completely off without having to having to hold the button.

Maybe you can see this as in issue with the WD TV lineup rather then the HUB? There’s no other inbuilt storage except elements hence why a lot of people will buy and not for it’s streaming abilities…

do you really find holding the button down for a couple seconds difficult? :dizzy_face:

No it’s a pain in the **bleep** especially when multiple people are using it… and also deletes temp data saved on it… again if want this product to succeed it needs to fit in with people not the other way round…

Apollo wrote:

No it’s a pain in the **bleep** especially when multiple people are using it… and also deletes temp data saved on it… again if want this product to succeed it needs to fit in with people not the other way round…

What temp data does it delete?

richUK wrote:

The Twonkyserver settings are default after a reboot.

How can i save the settings permanent ??

Andyyyy

richUK wrote:

Apollo wrote:

Deletes resume points from video files so you have to start from the beginning again. Also removes folder structure from servers or network shares… i.e needs to rescan all files & folders on MBW on reboot. That said, the latter is sometimes the only way I can refresh the file list from a network share…

Whether you unplug the cord, hold the power button down for three seconds or tell the hub (through your proposed option) to shut down completely with a STANDARD button-press, the results are the same.

I haven’t noticed it deleting resume points…  Yeah, the partially-watched ICON might be gone, but the resume usually works even after unplugging for a few days…    But that’s iffy.   Not too sure about what makes it retain or not…

A full-shutdown doesn’t remove ANYTHING from network shares.  Yes, it needs to rescan, but re-scans are READS, not WRITES.

In my humble opinion (and 10 years of PC development experience)…

Devices of this class/type are not designed to stay on 24/7 in general.  In actuality, always knowing the state of a device means less engineering work goes into the product because there is less environmental variability.  One aspect of a device’s TDE (thermal design envelope) is power cycling characteristics.  While heat is generally considered the enemy, the real enemy is operating temperature delta in a device like the WDTVLH.

Because we are never instructed to leave the device on 24/7 or risk losing warranty, we must assume that turning it off is OK.  What that means is that the exact opposite of your statement is true.  The devices are designed/engineered to be powered up and powered down and perform as designed it’s TDE which includes ratings for temperature (and humidity) deltas caused by power cycling.

If you want a good laugh, go look at the fine print of the warranty of a PC and you’ll also see that you’re limited to the altitude at which the device is warranted.

Cheers!!!

Jim

jimpreis wrote:

…If you want a good laugh, go look at the fine print of the warranty of a PC and you’ll also see that you’re limited to the altitude at which the device is warranted.

Cheers!!!

Jim

Yeah, but I actually understand that reason.    Higher altitude air is less dense and has MUCH less cooling capacity.   The fans have to spin 20-40% faster to maintain the same CFM at a normalized density.