Respected Contributor
Vistawall

Long Press of Remote Power Button!

[ Edited ]

WD TV LIVE Hub community,

Here is a  "TIP" that I would like to share for people who hate to see their WD TV LIVE HUB's FAN keep spinning when powered off.

When our community member Tony shared with me that a long press (More than 3 Secs) of the power button on the device will shutdown the WD TV LIVE HUB completely including the whirring FAN in the device I was curious to see if the same could be replicated using the REMOTE that comes along with WDTV LIVE HUB

I am pleased to share that - If you press and hold  the remote power button for more than 3 secs it will completely shutdown the WD TV LIVE HUB.

Now enjoy the peace and silence!! :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers!

:smileywink:

WDTV SMPx1, WDTVLIVEHUB x1 , Win7 HTPC x2 WD Elements 2 TB x2, Seagate BlackArmor NAS 440 x1, My Book Live Duo 4TBx1, WD N900 Central 1TB.
*** I'm so sane, it's driving me crazy *** Website: http://rbhatta.blogspot.com/
Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Re: EASTER EGG: Long Press of Remote Power Button!

Heheh..  It's no easter egg...  It's documented in the manual.  :smileywink:

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Honored Contributor
richUK

Re: EASTER EGG: Long Press of Remote Power Button!

Using the Remote Control
POWER  Suspends the device into sleep mode and turns off video output. Press 
and hold the power button for five seconds to completely shut down the 
media center.

Page 25 of the manual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Respected Contributor
Vistawall

Long Press of Remote Power Button!

I agree it is no EASTER EGG, I have edited my posting and I feel stupid not reading the manual

Lesson learned - RTFM!

WDTV SMPx1, WDTVLIVEHUB x1 , Win7 HTPC x2 WD Elements 2 TB x2, Seagate BlackArmor NAS 440 x1, My Book Live Duo 4TBx1, WD N900 Central 1TB.
*** I'm so sane, it's driving me crazy *** Website: http://rbhatta.blogspot.com/
Advisor
Apollo

Re: Long Press of Remote Power Button!

Personally I don't find this a workable solution as there are usually several people using the hub and sometimes difficult to  instruct that need to hold down the button to switch off completely considering no other device requires this.

Please just add an option

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Kinda curious, then, why did you buy the hub?   It was built to be left on all the time because it is a server.   If you don't want the server functions, you would probably be happier with  a Live or Live+ instead.

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Honored Contributor
richUK

Apollo wrote:

Personally I don't find this a workable solution as there are usually several people using the hub and sometimes difficult to  instruct that need to hold down the button to switch off completely considering no other device requires this.

What other device are you comparing it with. The hub can be a media player and a simple NAS. If you want the NAS then its a short press and if you don't its a long press.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Regular Advisor
bitfiddler

I would like to see a config option to do a hard power off after x hours of inactivity.

If there were no network streaming activity, no hard disk activity, and no remote buttons for a couple of hours it would be ok in my situation to do the hard shutdown. It would need to ignore intermittent activity from services, like temperature updates from AccuWeather for example.

-- this is NOT your father's motherboard --
Advisor
Apollo

[ Edited ]

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Kinda curious, then, why did you buy the hub?   It was built to be left on all the time because it is a server.   If you don't want the server functions, you would probably be happier with  a Live or Live+ instead.

Didn't buy it, was given to me as Xmas present..  & already have HD, Live, MB World & MB Live...

Agree with what your saying but it also has inbuilt storage; while the other alternative is Element's Play which is crud (I also have it..) Plus Hub has a much better interface, your able to skip to desired spot & I dunno if it's just me but it's decodes mkv better.

Advisor
Apollo

richUK wrote:

Apollo wrote:

What other device are you comparing it with. The hub can be a media player and a simple NAS. If you want the NAS then its a short press and if you don't its a long press.

Such as a normal DVD player..or name any AV device where you need to hold it down to completely switch off? I'm also using a Harmony One remote & I have to tell others who use it that to turn it off that they need to go back into devices and then hold down the button to completely turn it off. I'm going to see if I can add a macro in the remote to give me option for both but don't see why the remote has to do this instead of the device.

Also when you switch it off completely it seems to have hdmi handshake issues and starts up with wrong res etc.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD