Internal Drive Failed. Assistance In Alternatives

Hello,

I got a question regarding my mother’s failed WD TV Live Hub internal drive. Basically it has become dysfunctional to the point where it takes at least 3 minutes for it to load and fixing it on windows or formatting has been unsuccessful. So needless to say the drive is faulty.

Since it’s stupid in my opinion to pay $100 for another WD10TPVT from Ebay and even then I’m concerned that the drive will fail again just as the previous one had. So my natural alternative is using an external drive (with more space) and plug it in through the USB, but can I use any external drive other than WD? And does it need its own power source or will it run just fine through the USB port?

And one last thing, since I haven’t had time to test it out yet, but I can remove the internal drive completely and run the media player without it? Because leaving it in causes it to run extremely slow, or am I to assume its necessary for the firmware etc.?

If anyone has other suggestions, I’m all ears, thank you…

Any external drive will work in the usb port, and any lap top sata drive should work internally.

Also did you try to format via windows or from the wd tv hubs menu?

S_K_I wrote:> but I can remove the internal drive completely and run the media player without it?

Yes you can remove the internal hdd and the WDTV Live Hub will still function.

(However, there will be a Warning Message everytime you power on the device. It will disappear after a few seconds.)

Yea, I tried both from the media player itself and from Windows. Also, when I tried to reload the movies from my computer to the wd drive, and this is when I physically attached it to my computer too rule out the network, the burst transfer rate would start of fine but after 10 seconds the transfer speed dipped down from 125MB/s to less than 8mb/s. Additionally, when I had the drive connected to my computer, whenever I tried booting it would even cripple my boot time. That’s kind of when I knew the five had to many bad sectors on it.

And you mentioned any 2.5" sata drive would work, but I was under the impression only the same drive would work? Was this fixed in a firmware update?

Awesome, thank you.

S_K_I wrote:

And you mentioned any 2.5" sata drive would work, but I was under the impression only the same drive would work? Was this fixed in a firmware update?

I don’t know the answer … but if i had a spare 2.5 sata i’d give it a go see if it works (nothing to lose?)

Could only find one post where a user mars109 replaced his with a 60gb Seagate drive

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Replace-WDTV-Live-Hub-internal-hard-drive/td-p/304516

Also, answering another question … the WDTV Live Hub will work without an internal Hdd and will also work with self powered usb external drives*

* I have 3x 1TB WD Elements USB Pocket drives and they work fine without external power

In my setup pic i have

1x USB HUB (unpowered externally)  

1x WD 1TB Elements USB HDD (unpowered externally)

1x Seagate Freeagent USB HDD (unpowered externally)

2x WD Elements USB HDD (powered)

1x Seagate Freeagent Desktop USB HDD (powered)

The WDTV Live Hub sees them all :smiley:

And i still have one free usb input on the WDTV Live Hub

One other little thing to note is how thick the original drive is if you intend to replace it. Pretty sure you can use a 2TB as WD did for the Hub at a later point in time.

-SKI

Yes, I have successfully replaced internal drive with a Seagate, 2.5" 1TB drive model # ST1000LM024 (5400 RPM) that I had taken out of a deceased laptop.

I am a WD digital fan and would have preferred to buy a “New” WD digital drive for the reliability… but i couldn’t argue with the price for this drive (FREE!).

A few years ago I’d read that you couldn’t replace the internal drive with anything other than a WD drive… but recently i read post from others that it had been “fixed” in firmware to allow any drive to work.

So naturally, I tried this Seagate.  I’ve had no problems except that it gets warmer than the old WD drive in my other unit. I fixed THAT issue by placing it near a well ventilated spot to get cool air.

I did all that to get rid of the error message you get if you remove the hard drive from the unit…  Oh, it works just fine with the error message about a missing hard drive but I just got tired of seeing it and rummaged around for a spare drive. When someone gave me a dead laptop for parts, and I immediately looked inside to get the 2.5" SATA drive out for use in my WDTV Hub.

Personally, if you have to go buy one, I’d get external HD’s…  if your’s is failing. But don’t put your only copies of your video’s on your WDTV hubs’ drives… Hard drives will not last forever. (Always have backups!)

1 Like