Internal Drive Failed. Assistance In Alternatives

-SKI

Yes, I have successfully replaced internal drive with a Seagate, 2.5" 1TB drive model # ST1000LM024 (5400 RPM) that I had taken out of a deceased laptop.

I am a WD digital fan and would have preferred to buy a “New” WD digital drive for the reliability… but i couldn’t argue with the price for this drive (FREE!).

A few years ago I’d read that you couldn’t replace the internal drive with anything other than a WD drive… but recently i read post from others that it had been “fixed” in firmware to allow any drive to work.

So naturally, I tried this Seagate.  I’ve had no problems except that it gets warmer than the old WD drive in my other unit. I fixed THAT issue by placing it near a well ventilated spot to get cool air.

I did all that to get rid of the error message you get if you remove the hard drive from the unit…  Oh, it works just fine with the error message about a missing hard drive but I just got tired of seeing it and rummaged around for a spare drive. When someone gave me a dead laptop for parts, and I immediately looked inside to get the 2.5" SATA drive out for use in my WDTV Hub.

Personally, if you have to go buy one, I’d get external HD’s…  if your’s is failing. But don’t put your only copies of your video’s on your WDTV hubs’ drives… Hard drives will not last forever. (Always have backups!)

1 Like