I think it´s shame

that HUB didn´t get some final firmware update similar to the last firmware of SMP with all this issues resolved:

• Supports SiriusXM Internet Radio.
  • Supports France TV.
  • Supports Tweet by WD TV.
  • Supports WSJ Live.
  • Supports Toon Goggles.
  • Supports ADC, All Fitness TV, American Pop service, Asian Crush, Bolly Mixtures Brief, Cook, CloudMe™, Docurama, Family TV, Go Digital, Gravitas Movies, Manga, MBC America, Pop Flix Classic Movies, Pop Flix Classic TV, Vanguard Cinema.
  • Supports DTS-HD Master Audio pass-through.
  • Supports YouTube Leanback service with DIAL protocol.
  • Default set to “on” for 3 hour energy saving auto shut down.
  • Resolved YouTube Leanback restart after short-term playback.
  • Supports TXT MicroDVD subtitle.
  • Supports clock screensaver.
  • Resolved issue with some AIFF files not playing properly.
  • Resolved rear USB port issue when playing media from a USB HDD.
  • Resolved several JSTV issues with reboots, freezing, streaming stops, video start-up times and stuttering.
  • Resolved Maxdome movie playback quality issues.
  • Resolved video playback issue after exiting SlingPlayer.
  • Resolved Spotify Playlist reboot issue.
  • Resolved FWD/RWD/Skip To issue with DVR-MS video files.
  • Resolved FWD/RWD playback issue with .FLV (AVC) video files.
  • Resolved playback prematurely stopping with specific DVR-MS video files.
  • Resolved system locking up after long-term playback of MKV video playlist.
  • Resolved some BD ISO movies not playing from the beginning.
  • Resolved some DVD ISO issue displaying black screen during play.
  • Resolved issue with some m2ts and BD ISO files restarting.
  • Updated Get Content Info search results for music & movie files.
  • Resolved higher resolution DVR-MS files with video/audio/lip sync and stopping issues during playback.
  • Resolved audio sound not playing for certain AVI video files.
  • Resolved AAC audio not in sync with FLV files.
  • Resolved “Skip To” function not working with some BD ISO files.
  • Resolved reboot problem when pressing the Home button while using Windows™ Play To during video playback.
  • Resolved issue playing DVR-MS videos via Windows™ Play To.
  • Resolved network share issue when storage device is not connected.
  • Resolved screensaver interrupting audio playback when playing from Windows™ Play To.
  • Resolved Accuweather™ not displaying the correct unit of measurement for Precipitation, Rain, Snow, and Ice.
  • Resolved Flickr message pop-up “There is no media” when scrolling through Interesting category.
  • Resolved various translation issues.
3 Likes

Yeah its a shame,

atleast they could “open source” the firmware, so that someone can develop a custom firmware.

Now i regret not buying another media player last december .

yep due to no hub update, i will be replacing both my hub and smp with little black boxes and never buy wd again

That´s bit extreme, especially if they are still working

drizzt09 wrote:

yep due to no hub update, i will be replacing both my hub and smp with little black boxes and never buy wd again

What “Black Boxes” are you referring to ?

This ?   :wink:

3 Likes

I’d gladly trade my Hub in for one of these black boxes. Feel free to PM me with any offers :dizzy_face:

-P

1 Like

Thought I would try one of these with “Beyond XBMC” installed. (A modded version of XBMC)

WD is definately missing the boat on Android…

I’m thinking of buying a lenovo Q190 and run XBMC on it, on top of windows 8.

or even install OpenELEC on it. I’ve read quite good reviews of it.

The black box in my bedroom is a Raspberry Pi Model B running OpenELEC from a 128MB SD card.

If the family wasn’t so used to the WDTV Live Hub in the living room, I’d put one on the living room.  Smoother interface than the WDTV with the larger library.

flhthemi wrote:

Thought I would try one of these with “Beyond XBMC” installed. (A modded version of XBMC)

You do know that “Beyond XBMC” is just SPMC that was modded for the Ouya.

Tinwarble wrote:

flhthemi wrote:

You do know that “Beyond XBMC” is just SPMC that was modded for the Ouya.

Yup…but hey it’s even running on my Asus TF700 tablet! Can’t wait for the UT2 to get here so I can dump PlayOn and go totally over to XBMC. And to think a few weeks ago I was giving it a thumbs down! Ha!

flhthemi wrote:

Yup…but hey it’s even running on my Asus TF700 tablet! Can’t wait for the UT2 to get here so I can dump PlayOn and go totally over to XBMC. And to think a few weeks ago I was giving it a thumbs down! Ha!

I know! :wink:  It’s amazing what a little education on a subject does. :smileyvery-happy:

flhthemi wrote":can dump PlayOn and go totally over to XBMC."

Can you direct to info on how to do this ?

Funny thing is that the generic batteries that came with the live hub last longer (just went dead) than support for the firmware.

Can’t complain the hub served it’s purpose

You can get the current 12.3 “Frodo” release from xbmc.org for whatever opeating system you want to use as the server. All the add ons and a huge wiki on how to setup and use is there as well.

XBMC Download Page

Good Luck

-P

What about the WDLXTV project? I thought they solved a lot of the Hubs problems with their firmware Hack (version).

Thank you very much. That links only gives one constant answer:

“Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it’s really you sending the requests, and not a robot.”

The link works fine for me … your computer has a problem.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640?hl=en

“Unusual traffic from your computer network”

Why you received this message

You may see “Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network” if Google detects that a computer or phone on your network may be sending automated traffic to Google.

Automated traffic includes:

Sending searches from a robot, computer program, automated service, or search scraper
    Using software that sends searches to Google to see how a website or webpage ranks on Google

What to do when you see this message

The error page most likely shows a CAPTCHA (a squiggly word with a box below it). To continue using Google, type the squiggly word into the box. It’s how we know you’re a human, not a robot.

If you keep seeing the CAPTCHA form, report the problem.

Troubleshoot if you don’t see a CAPTCHA

If you don’t see a CAPTCHA, or keep seeing it over and over, try these steps in order:

1. Check for malware on your computer. Malicious software called malware, sometimes included with other free downloads without your knowledge, can cause Google to show this message. Learn how to remove malware from your computer.

2. Contact your network administrator. If you share a Wi-Fi network with others, like at a school or business, another computer in your network may be sending automated searches to Google. Your network administrator or IT professional may be able to locate and stop the source of the automated traffic.
3. Reset your modem or router. If you don’t have a network administrator, try resetting your modem or router to see if that fixes the issue.
4. If the problem keeps happening, or you don’t share a network with others, contact us. If you keep receiving this message in error, report the problem. We’ll only follow up if we need more information, or if we have something to report back.

Once the automated searches have stopped, you should be able to search normally on Google.

Dang, all you really need to do is go to google.com and type in WDLXTV Project.

Or if you just can’t figure it out this will at least explain to some degree what it is.

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Main_Page

flhthemi wrote:

Dang, all you really need to do is go to google.com and type in WDLXTV Project.

Or if you just can’t figure it out this will at least explain to some degree what it is.

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Main_Page

Yeah, and you will still find there is No WDLXTV Custom Firmware for The WDTV Live Hub that …

to Quote animal99

__What about the WDLXTV project? I thought they solved a lot of the Hubs problems with their firmware Hack (version)”

a bit of fanciful misinformation statement   :wink:

This is old … but makes for fun reading

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Y_U_NOT_SUPPORT_MY_DEVICE

To quote Animal99…

Actually, i wasn’t trying to make a fanciful statement but a question - “Didn’t they…?”

After your post, i went to their website and saw the fine print that WDTV HUB was excluded from the devices this firmware supports.

Since they I’ve tried to research alternatives for WDTV Hubs’ firmware - So far I have yet to find an alternative.  AM I WRONG - Are there NO alternatives to WD’s firmware?

I find it hard to believe…  i thought by now well-meaning hackers would have surely cracked this firmware and found ways to improve upon it?

well-meaning hackers

ROFL