Hub not approved for youtube videos... WHAT?

A couple of months ago I noticed that some youtube videos wouldn’t play on the hub, this has been spreading rapidly the last 4-5 weeks, I can hardly play any youtube videos anymore.

Not even when I select a youtube trailer link for my movies, most of them gives me the following screen message:

This video is restricted by the video content owner
and it is not available on TV connected devices

What’s going on, is youtube banning the hub?

Frillen wrote:

A couple of months ago I noticed that some youtube videos wouldn’t play on the hub, this has been spreading rapidly the last 4-5 weeks, I can hardly play any youtube videos anymore.

Not even when I select a youtube trailer link for my movies, most of them gives me the following screen message:

What’s going on, is youtube banning the hub?

Thats something the youtube video owner has decided on. I’m not sure why people would tick a box which stops people from playing. I believe that somehow a bug has crept in at youtubes end, as some of the restricted videos make no sense.

Yeah, it’s people checking it under Syndicaiton.  Probably the reason for it is that they want people to go a subscrbe to their channel, which cann’t be done with TV apps or the HUB.

Hmm this doesn’t seem to be a new issue, check this link:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WD-TV-Live-version-1-01-24-Firmware-Update/td-p/9599/page/2

Each day there are new youtube videos in my favorite list that won’t play, most of the trailer links for my movies on the hub gives the same message!

If this continues then the youtube service on the hub will be useless, hopefully some of the WD people will give us the opportunity to provide our own links to trailers for our movies, preferably to local stored trailers.

It’s annoying and also affects other devices, such as the iPad.  

At least in Apple’s case, they filter out the unplayable videos from the search results, which lessens the frustration somewhat…

Um, yeah, this is really annoying.  It takes five minutes or less to actually start watching the video, if my laptop is running at the time.

There are a number of Add-Ons for Firefox that facilitate saving Youtube videos, like Video Downloadhelper.  When I can’t just watch from the Youtube service on the Live Hub, I use that plug-in to save the video to my laptop, then transfer it to the LiveHub.   Takes a little extra time and trouble, but it still ends up on my TV.  :wink:

It’s because Youtube doesn’t get any money for users watching videos on the hub or any other tv app. I first noticed it when i was trying to watch music videos and now many trailers don’t even work.

nath999 wrote:

It’s because Youtube doesn’t get any money for users watching videos on the hub or any other tv app. I first noticed it when I was trying to watch music videos and now many trailers don’t even work.

Do they even get paid when you watch their movies on your computer?

To me it seems like Youtube for media players is a dead fish, hopefully someone will see that there’s a market for videos on media players other than computers and take over where Youtube gave up!

Media players, iphones, ipods, android phones and so on, it’s all the same… Videos that won’t play on such devices is growing rapidly, making the Youtube service completely useless - I wouldn’t shed a single tear if WD exchanged the youtube service with something similar.

OFF TOPIC:

It’s a bit funny that the spell checker doesn’t know “WD” :smileyvery-happy:

They get paid if they are Youtube partners and it comes from advertisers.

It’s a shame because the GoogeTV plays all YouTube videos as well as playing in hi-def.   That’s about the only good point of a GTV. 

So there is a way that the WD TV’s should be able to play anything but it’s probably a partnership that needs to happen between WD and YouTube.  I’d guess is more political or has to do with $$$ than anything else.  I don’t think it’s a device limitation.

Steve_V wrote:

It’s a shame because the GoogeTV plays all YouTube videos as well as playing in hi-def.   That’s about the only good point of a GTV. 

So there is a way that the WD TV’s should be able to play anything but it’s probably a partnership that needs to happen between WD and YouTube.  I’d guess is more political or has to do with $$$ than anything else.  I don’t think it’s a device limitation.

It’s definitely not a device limitation; if you have an iPad or iPhone, you can use the ZappoTV App (free) to find and “push” HD YouTube videos to any of the Live players.  Works great.

Google has an unfair advantage when it comes to YouTube access because Google OWNS YouTube.  ;)

I’m happy enough searching for videos using ZappoTV on my iPad, which is a little faster than using a keyboard on the Live’s YouTube app.  Any video, in HD when available.  

Basically what WD are doing is implementing youtubes rules or they will denied use of the service.

With reference to Google TV, all you have to know is that Google own youtube.

Just a question here, has anyone tried accessing the restricted Youtube vids using Playon media server rather than the HUBs app?

What is the real deal with this TV Live HUB not allowing alot of the youtube videos to play?   this is just plain unacceptable because I can watch them on the YouTube app on my BlueRay DVD player… but not the WD Live TV Hub.   This has to be a problem with WD’s software or firmware if I can watch them on other TV connected devices.   WTF? 

I get the same error:  

pokerman wrote:

What is the real deal with this TV Live HUB not allowing alot of the youtube videos to play?   this is just plain unacceptable because I can watch them on the YouTube app on my BlueRay DVD player… but not the WD Live TV Hub.   This has to be a problem with WD’s software or firmware if I can watch them on other TV connected devices.   WTF? 

I get the same error:  

Its part of a youtube restriction which WD have to obey if they want to continue to offer youtube via the unit. The unit has to flag up thats its TV connected and then any video where the owner has ticked the restricted box will not get played.

Yes, for some of my uploaded videos on YouTube, Goole asked if I wanted to be a partner.

If I had taken the option, I would be making money off my videos. Sine I did not, everyone can veiw my videos.

Its all about the money.

It’s Google and nothing more. Right now, “Google” the owner of “YouTube”, can’t push it’s advertisements through to the users of connected devices. No advertising = no money. Unless the manufacterer of players like the WDTV Live Hub incorporate the ability for advertising either through hardawe or firmware, we will continue to lose the ability to stream youtube video content. Western Digital needs to sit down with Google and find a solution. We could probably get around this by using a proxy, but I don’t know how to set that up… Just how to use it if someone give me instructions…

It’s all about the $$$

EDIT: I was gone for a few minutes while making my reply and when I finally posted I noticed that we both said it’s all about the money. How funny is that… :slight_smile:

I can push videos through my iPhone to my WD TV LH with the ZippoTV app.

Othere than that, a crack in the firware…

I picked the first 30 of my movies and checked the view youtube trailer and only 4 of them would show on the hub, this is spreading like a disease.

I’ve got more than 100 videos added to my youtube favorites, only a few of them will play.

I’ve also got an Ipod Touch, it’s the exact same thing there, I know that I can use Zappo TV, but it’s not everyone who has this option!

This is making not wanting to use youtube anymore, we desperately need an alternative to youtube, especially for the movie trailer option.

Imagine that WD and many other got tired of the youtube limitations and decided to quit their youtube app and exchange it with a similar service, perhaps youtube(Google) would wake up and start working on expanding it instead of limiting it :wink:

$$$ or not, I know that I’m fed up with youtube, if it doesn’t work on mediaplayers, then replace it with something else that works!