Help for a Tech dummy :) Streaming from Mac?

Ok so tired of paying $150 a month canceled down to internet and basic cable.  Read bunch of articles on these Media Centers. Best seemed to be the WD brand.

Go to get Live Plus see the Hub and like Im on it!

I get home hook up to TV use thumb drive  get couple of movies, search you tube, and get netflix.  Its a wrap I will never order a premium package again.

Anyways is there a way to stream from my MAC?  If so how.

I purchased the dual band netgear router and I think I need a USB adapter for the hub?

What are the steps after that? Do I create a folder on my Mac that is read by the Hub?  Please explain like you were explaining to an Elementary schooler lol. Im truly a Tech dummy. Took me like an hour to get my Router going lol. And its plug and play  basically.

Also is there a better way to organize the hub like Movies in one folder, Tv Shows in another, Kid movies (My son loves Yo Gabba Gabba, its like his drug of choice). 

Thanks in advance

Best purchase I have made in last couple years, since I got a MAC ;

Congrats on your purchase.

Since you have a HUB, you’ll be better off “Sharing” your folders instead of “Streaming” your content.  It’s just much more flexible that way.    Sharing gives your Hub access to the specific files, whereas STREAMING only sends supported CONTENTS of files.

Read KB article 3788, here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3788

That’s titled for the WD TV Live, but the instructions are the same regardless of the downstream device.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Good stuff thanks, just need to block out 8 hours to do this lol.

So if I add a Download folder Ill be able to see everything in that folder on the Hub itself?

Can the Live Model do the same? I have two TVs and trying to figure out how to get them both on the same page.

Thanks again for the quick and thorough answer.

Presumably, yes.   I don’t have a Mac, so I’m not familiar with the setup myself.

All LIVE models can do this.

The HUB excels at it because “THUMBNAIL” jpgs actually work correctly on the Hub, but the Live and Live+ don’t handle them perfectly well.   Basically, on the Live and Live+, the .jpg files that get added to create thumbnails show up as separate files when viewing Video Folders via Network Shares.

In other words, if you have a “folder.jpg” file, and thumbnails for your movies, you’ll see something like this in the list

folder.jpg

My Movie 1.jpg

My Movie 2.jpg

My Movie 3.jpg

My Movie 1.mkv

My Movie 2.mkv

My Movie 3.mkv

whereas on the HUB, you’ll only see this:

My Movie 1.mkv

My Movie 2.mkv

My Movie 3.mkv

which is what you’d want.