Formatting the hard drive

I repartitioned and formatted my 2-year old Hub’s hard drive the other day.

This is how I did it. Some stuff might not be needed but I wanted to KNOW what would happen…

Backup any themes or other stuff you want to keep!!! You can do this before you take the drive out of the Hub or after you connect it to your PC!

1) Remove the drive from the Hub

2) Connect the drive to a USB adapter. When you connect it it will auto run and may ask you to scan it for errors don’t bother scanning it as you’re about to erase all of it.

3) Connect the USB adapter to your PC

4) Open the Windowz Disk Management (how ever you want to)

I just type “create and format” into the search box on the start button in Win 7 and hit enter

5) Find the Hubs drive in the list of drives (It will be a USB drive) and make SURE it is the Hub’s drive!

6) The Hub’s hard drive has 3 partitions. It should be represented at the bottom portion of the Disk Manager Window along with ALL your other drives so make SURE you are selecting the correct drive or you will destroy your Windows OS by doing what you are about to do. (It WILL NOT BE The C drive or Disk 0 don’t even think about that one as it most likely has Windows on it)

7) Right click on one of the indicated partitions for the Hub’s drive. From the list that opens click “delete volume”. Do this for the two remaining partitions as well. This REMOVES ALL DATA ON THE HUB’S HARD DISK!!!

8) When you’re done deleting all 3 partitions, remove the drive from the PC and place it back into the Hub. No need to re-partition it!

9) Connect the Hub in the usual way to your system and network and fire it up. It will eventually ask to be formatted at boot.

10) Allow the Hub to format it - It’ll put back all 3 partitions, format them, and put the system files it needs back, and nothing more, and will end up on the home screen in the default theme.

11) Copy your stuff back to it and have fun!

Once the Hub is powered up with the unformatted/unpartitioned drive in it and you answer yes to format it it doesn’t take it very long to actually do it. Seems to me it was about 60 seconds. It takes longer to boot it to the point of asking to be formatted…that’s the scary part, that wait. :slight_smile:

1 Like