Feature - Auto Subtitle Downloader , will ever be included in an upgrade?

Hi WD  , i just love my wd tv lives, i have one wd tv live hub, one wd tv live plus, and a wd tv live (the new one with wifi).

these devices are great great, BUT , as a non english speaker , i have to download a subtitle  for every movie, tv show etc…

this task, is becoming a waist of time , i’ve being doing it for years by now .

but the other day, i was using BSPLAYER, on my laptop, and noticed that has a feature, which automatically downloads  the subs, from several places  , it let you choose which one u want. 

Same goes with media player classic. 

here are the servers where they get the subs

opensubtitle.org

getsubtitle.com

i was thinking, if bsplayer, and media player classics, can do that, why these devices cant ?, please add this feature in next releases !!!

i think thats the only thing to make this players perfect  !

matongax wrote:

i was thinking, if bsplayer, and media player classics, can do that, why these devices cant ?

Copyright law, perhaps?

i dont know, wich law are u breaking with that ?

Just a guess, really:   I am NOT an attorney, and I am not offering “legal” advice.   Just speculating.  ;)

1-  The dialogue is certainly copyrighted by the studio.

2-  The studios most definitely do NOT publish the subtitles except in media that users are granted a limitted license to use.

3-  Anyone publishing or distributing subtitles files in any other manner  is plagiarising and/or infringing on the copyright held by the studio.

4-  Downloading of subtitles from non-authorized sources would be considered distribution and thus would be illegal.

Since there is (as far as I know) NO “authorized” distribution of subtitles, then it’d be a violation of law.

This is an interesting topic. It appears to be copyright infringement (though I am no lawyer either). Since the script is copyrighted, this would be the same as distributing that without proper authorization. 

Though not in the US, a Norwegian student was fined the equivilent of $2,450 for running a subtitle site in 2012. No money was being made in this enterprise.

Norwegian student fined for subtitle piracy

Lots of good discussion on this topic around the net.

-P

interesting, i thought  there was no legal issue by creating subtitles.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
4-  Downloading of subtitles from non-authorized sources would be considered distribution and thus would be illegal.

IANAL either but even the crazy content mafia lawyers won’t be able to construe downloading as distribution, only uploading. OTOH, they’re already pushing for tertiary liability, so who knows…

matongax wrote:

interesting, i thought  there was no legal issue by creating subtitles.

You can create subtitles for your own use, you just can’t distibute them. Think of it like taking a book out of the library, and and hand re-typing it in a text editor. You could spend all the time you want doing that (why would you though), but you can’t then distribute that in either hard or soft copy. The publisher still owns that material, regardless of the fact that you re-typed it.

-P

but in the case of the players, they dont create the subs, they just use what other published , i dont see the issue there

matongax wrote:

but in the case of the players, they dont create the subs, they just use what other published , i dont see the issue there

It’s downloading of copyrighted material. You can do it, but WD can’t build an app that sanctions it.

-P

i was thinking, maybe is copyrighted on th US , but not in argentina.

they can add the feature depending on the region, exapmlndoe , i cannot use pandora here , even is on the apps available