Empty Windows share folders

My hub has been giving me fits lately.  I have an ongoing problem with stuttering VOB over my wired LAN and someone suggested using the media server function instead of network share.  I tried to setup W7 Media Player as my media server but the said the folders where the media is stored are empty.  I’ve tried regressing back to network share but the folders are still empty.  I’ve tried toggling every setting and even resetting the device but no joy.  I hope someone has a suggestion.

See if you can turn off the media library and then back on.

Make sure to check the settings for the share folders in order to ensure the files are properly shared over your LAN.

If you are trying to see the files via media library they will not populate all at the same time.

The instructions on how to turn off the media library are on the user’s manual.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705046.pdf

John012 wrote:

See if you can turn off the media library and then back on.

Make sure to check the settings for the share folders in order to ensure the files are properly shared over your LAN.

If you are trying to see the files via media library they will not populate all at the same time.

The instructions on how to turn off the media library are on the user’s manual.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705046.pdf

I think I know why this is happening but I can’t figure out how to fix it.  The empty folders began when I tried using windows Media Player as my Media Server,  Unfortunately VOB files aren’t supported by WMP so the folders where the VOB live appear as empty to the HUB using the  Media Server.  What I don’t understand is why the files are not visible to Network Share which uses SAMBA.  Apparently the HUB contineus to use WMP even through Network Share.

Shut down WMP’s media server capabilities and try again.

Techflaws wrote:

I’ve tried to do that but I must be missing something.

ram1009 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

Maybe the IP of your hub entered into the address box on your browser might get you there…the default password is “admin”. Then once in select MEDIA and turn off Twonky?

flhthemi wrote:

ram1009 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

Maybe the IP of your hub entered into the address box on your browser might get you there…the default password is “admin”. Then once in select MEDIA and turn off Twonky?

I guess you’re talking about using the WD discovery tool.  I’ll try this tonight (at work now) but I don’t know how Twonky would have gotten turned on.  I certainly have no use for it.

I would take a guess that your method of sharing passes through WMP. Due to limited files supported in WMP, all the files won’t show up. There is somewhere in the registry to allow all file types to show through WMP and shares, though I don’t remember off hand where to make this change. Let us know if you get it to work or not.

VStrike7 wrote:

I would take a guess that your method of sharing passes through WMP. Due to limited files supported in WMP, all the files won’t show up. There is somewhere in the registry to allow all file types to show through WMP and shares, though I don’t remember off hand where to make this change. Let us know if you get it to work or not.

Well, although I agree with you in principal, “my” method of sharing is whatever the HUB does.  I think my mistake was to try to use WMP as my Media Server before I discovered that VOBs are not supported.  I can understand why the media folders would appear empty to the HUB when viewed through the Media Server function but why do the same folders appear empty when viewed using the Network Share Server (which supposedly uses SAMBA) especially if they were NOT empty before attempting to employ WMP?  If there’s a registry tweek it should be available somewhere in “setup” or “preferences” wouldn’t you think?

I guess you’re talking about using the WD discovery tool.  I’ll try this tonight (at work now) but I don’t know how Twonky would have gotten turned on.  I certainly have no use for it.

No it’s not for the Discovery tool. Entering the IP of your Hub into Internet Explorer’s address bar will open the Web interface page of the Hub. Once logged into it you can select Media and turn on/off the Twonky server.

flhthemi wrote:

No it’s not for the Discovery tool. Entering the IP of your Hub into Internet Explorer’s address bar will open the Web interface page of the Hub. Once logged into it you can select Media and turn on/off the Twonky server.

Sorry, but it was never enabled.

OK, well we seem to have hit a dead end here so I’m trying something else.  I’ve downloaded and installed a free (trial) DLNA server application called SERVIIO.  Anybody usingt it?  It seems to setup easily however I still see empty folders even though the HUB sees SERVIO.  I’ve turned on DLNA server in the HUB setup but turned off Network Share & Media Server.  Should I turn something back on or what.  Help.

You should need network sharing on for anything to see the Hub’s internal drive on the network.

Can you see files and folders on the Hub using it’s built in File manager from the Main Menu? If you can’t, and you know they are there, I would be thinking about a sending it back to WD.

But if you can see them using the Hub’s File manager then you might want to go in this direction.

Do your other PC’s on the network see the Hub when Network Sharing is on?

Does the Hub have a connection to the network, does it pass the network test in Settings on the Hub? Sure it WAS working but things happen and making a check will confirm it’s still accessing the network properly.

BTW

I’m sorry about all the pictures for turning off Twonky. I misunderstood WMP is what you were trying to turn off. Did you manage to get WMP to stop?

flhthemi wrote:

You should need network sharing on for anything to see the Hub’s internal drive on the network.

I don’t need to see the HUB’s drive on my LAN.

Can you see files and folders on the Hub using it’s built in File manager from the Main Menu? If you can’t, and you know they are there, I would be thinking about a sending it back to WD.

My movie files are in an alphabetized folder structure: A-D, E-H, etc.  Inside are folders with movie names and eventually video_ts folders with the VOB files.  The HUB will only see the first directory no matter what switches I flip.  It reports “empty folder” below that level.  I should probably add that I have been streaming VOBs over my LAN for several years before this all happened so it’s not like I don’t know how it’s suppose to act.  The HUB is long out of warranty so sending it back to WD would not be cost effective.

But if you can see them using the Hub’s File manager then you might want to go in this direction.

Do your other PC’s on the network see the Hub when Network Sharing is on?

the HUB is visible to the computer where my movies are stored.

Does the Hub have a connection to the network, does it pass the network test in Settings on the Hub? Sure it WAS working but things happen and making a check will confirm it’s still accessing the network properly.

I always make this test before testing anything else and it always passes.

BTW

I’m sorry about all the pictures for turning off Twonky. I misunderstood WMP is what you were trying to turn off. Did you manage to get WMP to stop?    Apparently not.  I was hoping that SERVIIO would pre-empt WMP as the default server and since SERVIIO handles VOBs natively they would then be visible to the HUB.  No such luck.

I never have used WMP as a Media Server…but I have used it’s “play to” features and I have used it to stream. To turn off media streaming in Windows 7 WMP:

Open Windows Media Player.

Click “Stream” followed by “More Streaming Options” at the bottom of the drop-down menu.

Click “Block All” to disable access to all files over media sharing

OR

Open Control Panel

Under Network and Internet Select “Choose Homegroup and sharing options”

From the next window select “Choose Media Streaming Options”

Next click the “Block ALL” button in the upper right

This will shut off Media Streaming

I wonder if the setting in the Hub for DVD Menus might need to be turned on? Seems what you’re doing is playing your movies from DVD folders that should be appearing as DVDs to the Hub.

Go to Setup - Video Settings - Make sure DVD Menu is toggled on. Here’s another picture :slight_smile:

I’m going to make a copy of a DVD in that same format and move it to my Hub and see what happens…I’m too curious to not do it… I have played and do have some image files (.iso) of a couple DVDs and that works fine. I just tested them.

flhthemi wrote:

I never have used WMP as a Media Server…but I have used it’s “play to” features and I have used it to stream. To turn off media streaming in Windows 7 WMP:

Open Windows Media Player.

Click “Stream” followed by “More Streaming Options” at the bottom of the drop-down menu.

Click “Block All” to disable access to all files over media sharing

OR

Open Control Panel

Under Network and Internet Select “Choose Homegroup and sharing options”

From the next window select “Choose Media Streaming Options”

Next click the “Block ALL” button in the upper right

This will shut off Media Streaming

I’ve done this already

I wonder if the setting in the Hub for DVD Menus might need to be turned on? Seems what you’re doing is playing your movies from DVD folders that should be appearing as DVDs to the Hub.

Go to Setup - Video Settings - Make sure DVD Menu is toggled on. Here’s another picture :slight_smile:

My menus are on.

I’m going to make a copy of a DVD in that same format and move it to my Hub and see what happens…I’m too curious to not do it… I have played and do have some image files (.iso) of a couple DVDs and that works fine. I just tested them.

I’m not sure where you’re going with this. I don’t play my movies from the local HDD. As a test I’ve played VOB files through the local USB port on a flash drive also ISOs. It’s just over the LAN that’s giving me fits.

OK I’ll butt out because I just don’t seem to comprehend what the problem is then. I just made a copy of a DVD in it’s native format to a folder and it’s now on my Hub’s internal drive and plays as one would expect a DVD to play using the Play button on the Hub’s remote.

I copied it to my NAS and played it on the Hub with the same results.

I left a copy on the PC I used to rip the DVD, shared that folder and played on the Hub.

The Hub sees every .vob file in the DVD folder on every device.

Dunno if any of this is usefull for YOU but that’s what I got. Sorry I butted in as I guess I just can’t comprehend what the problem IS. So I’ll just step out and glow red… :slight_smile:

flhthemi wrote:

OK I’ll butt out because I just don’t seem to comprehend what the problem is then. I just made a copy of a DVD in it’s native format to a folder and it’s now on my Hub’s internal drive and plays as one would expect a DVD to play using the Play button on the Hub’s remote.

I copied it to my NAS and played it on the Hub with the same results.

I left a copy on the PC I used to rip the DVD, shared that folder and played on the Hub.

The Hub sees every .vob file in the DVD folder on every device.

Dunno if any of this is usefull for YOU but that’s what I got. Sorry I butted in as I guess I just can’t comprehend what the problem IS. So I’ll just step out and glow red… :slight_smile:

Sorry if I offended you.  That wann’t my intent.  I appreciate all your efforts.  I just didn’t want you to waste your time on a non problem.  Simply stated, my HUB will no longer see VOB files over my LAN.  It has in the past but it won’t now no matter what I do.

Here’s a new clue.  I was checking settings again in the HUB and I noticed one of my shared folders (the same folders with the VOBs) had one ISO file.  I clicked on it and it played.  So the HUB can see ISOs in the same folder where it can’t see VOVs.  It must be Windows messing this up but how?  I  wish I could uninstall WMP.

Nope no offence taken. Just felt a little stupid. :slight_smile:

You can uninstall Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center and Windows DVD Maker.

Control Panel

Programs, Uninstall A Program

Then on the left side there is a list of other options choose "Turn Windows Features On or Off

Open that and look for “Media Features” and Untick the ones you want removed