Drive on Live hub takes 10 - 15 minutes to spin up

I’ve noticed on a hard reboot of my live hub that it takes more than 15 - 20 minutes for the drive to spin up and for the live hub to recognize that the drive is there.

Some times it takes even longer than that.  

As such since i rely on my usb wireless network card is there anything I can do to get the live hub to see it’s drive faster?

Not really.

But what setup do you have, is the internal drive full of files, do you have other external drives plugged in and shares that it builds up.

As after a cold reboot like that, it has to build the media library from scratch all over again.

Do you mean there is no media library build and you cant get to it for 10-15 minutes ?

no the drive is not filled up.

As a test I took a thumb drive and plugged it into the live hub.  the performance of the hub has substantially improved. 

Could it be that I have some bad sectors on the drive that is internal to the live hub? if so is there any diags or software that will find bad sectors and mark them as such. 

The performance of my hub has been getting worse and worse.  Which leads me to believe that the drive is tired or getting ready to fail?

Any thoughts?

What i mean by it taking 10 - 15 minutes to spin up is if I go into the setup system options and look for the drive.  it for the first 10 - 15 minutes shows no drive. 

then at somepoint the drive begins to show up and the unit is usable… Before drive spin up though the machine is terribly slow and un-responsive.  

guess woudl be that it pages to this drive as well.

Is it saying compiling media library though, because it will be slow. You are basically resetting the Hub every time you do a cold reboot.

It might be worth speaking to the Technical Support side, as you don’t have many options apart from a format I think.

I take it you have tried resetting the box to factory defaults etc ?

Have you changed firmware recently ?

I have reset to factory defaults once before and that hasn’t fixed the issue.

Adding the usb stick substantially sped up this device, which leads me to believe it is the internal drive that is having issues.

I’m on the latest firmware. 

Appreciate your questions and feedback.

Mmmm I find it hard to understand why a USB stick being plugged in would speed up anything to be honest.

The firmware is in the Hub, only time the hard drive would have an effect is when it would be compiling the media.

You could maybe try a format, but as I said before you go there, might be worth speaking to support.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en