DVD ISO Playback Resume function not working!

A Bug that I discovered today with WD TV LIVE HUB unit with official FW Release 2.02.16 (10/26/10) is that  DVD ISO Playback works fine, However RESUME function does not work.

RESUME works fine with all other media files I have tried, Like MP4, MKV, AVI etc;

Please make a note of this bug and please fix it.

Thanks.

It’s working for me…   

What issue, exactly, are you having with it?

I have noticed (though it is VERY infrequent) that occasionally it will lock up when trying to resume (if the resume point was in a weird place on the disk, like a menu transition or something) but that’s happened to me like 2 times out of hundreds of uses…

Simple, Play a DVD standard DVD ISO file Select few menus, chapters, Leave that Media, Select a MKV file or AVI file, Go back to the original DVD ISO file which you were playing, It does not remember where it left, it restarts from the beginning of the file. I am using the official FW  Release 2.02.16 (10/26/10)

Thanks

Hmmm.   Don’t have a clue…  You could try resetting the box…   All I can tell you is, if it’s a bug, it’s not a common one.  You’re the first to mention it.

TonyPh12345, You are a honored contributor, I have been reading your posts for over a year, You do have excellent advices to the community. I have already did the reset magic, Sadly, It did not work for me.

I have been a WDTV Live user for a long time, I Know what “RESUME” function for DVD ISO playback is, The WDTV Live HUB does not even give you the Menu for RESUME function when this Bug Manifests itself. It just starts from the beginning of the file as though the user never played the file before.

It will be soon confirmed by other users, If not, I will try to re flash the same FW Release 2.02.16 (10/26/10) again to see if that makes any difference!

Thanks

Let’s narrow it down a little more.   100% of my ISOs are generated by DVDFab; they were all ripped when I first got the Live+, and they (for me) are working exactly the same way on the Hub as the did on the Live+.    I am trying to narrow down what’s different in your case than mine.

So I would assume that the RESUME function IS working for the same ISOs on the Live, right?

Is it not working for even ONE ISO?  Or is it spotty?

How are the ISOs that are not working created?

How much space is on your INTERNAL HD?  

The DVD ISO files were created using various software including DVDFab HD Decrypter  like yours, Some using DVD Decrypter directly to a ISO file (Dual layer Full Disc), Some with menus, some without menus, It does not matter with menu or without menu WD TV Live HUB does not  give me the option to resume those DVD ISO file(s)

The same set of DVD ISO files play fine in WD Live and played okay on Live+ (I do not have Live+ anymore as I returned it to the store as it was plagued with HDMI issues) But bottom-line is WD Live with Official FW  1.02.21 Plays these DVD ISOs files perfectly fine and also allows me to resume where I left (Ofcourse, The DVD Menus do not work until you use the BETA Firmware with I do not have as it is also plagued with HDMI issues)

BTW, The Internal HDD on the WD TV Live HUB  is having about 800GB Free, The DVD ISOs were being played from an external USB HDD using WD TV LIve HUB. I tried using USB 1 and USB 2 same results, I did not attempt to copy files over to the Internal HDD to see if that makes any difference (I doubt it).

It is not Spotty,  - It simply refuses to give me the UI menu to resume playback after a brief stop or selection of other files for playback

Hope it makes things clear

Thanks.

Like Tony, I’m not experiencing any significant issues with ISOs not resuming regular playback.

I tried your scenario (play ISO, exit, play MKV, exit, resume ISO) and it worked fine.  I’m also streaming from a network share, not playing locally.

I then tried to open another ISO that I half watched last week and (to my surprise) it offered to resume and then resumed playing in the correct place.

My tests are resuming from within the movie, not the menus.  I’m not pausing or stopping the movie first; I’m simply hitting the Back button during playback to exit.

You can make an ISO fail resume (actually, it’ll auto-exit playback mode) by first taking the playing movie back to menu, then exiting, playing another file and going back to the ISO to attempt a resume.  It correctly resumes back to the menu but fails to resume play, instead exiting the ISO.  This is duplicable; happens every time.

So there are some issues with ISO resume in more convoluted circumstances but, for regular resume of playback, ISO are working fine for me.

PixelPower wrote:

You can make an ISO fail resume (actually, it’ll auto-exit playback mode) by first taking the playing movie back to menu, then exiting, playing another file and going back to the ISO to attempt a resume.  It correctly resumes back to the menu but fails to resume play, instead exiting the ISO.  This is duplicable; happens every time.

Interesting; I don’t even have that issue frequently.   What you describe has happened, but for me, it’s rare… 

95% of my DVDs are TV shows that have multiple episodes per DVD.   I’m almost ALWAYS exiting at the menu, and then watching another disc (from a different series) and then sometime later (after probably 8 or 9 OTHER files) I’ll go back in, Resume, and it picks up right into the Title menu (as in, NOT the disk menu) at the same place I left.

Vista, I am wondering if your Resume database has gotten corrupted.   The only way I know of sorting that out is to go into the Setup menu and RESET the box (not RESTART, but RESET, which sends it back to factory defaults.)

Thank you!

Can you please confirm when you have time to try this from USB1 port  and or USB2 port on the WDTV Live HUB, I do not use Network shares nor have any DVD ISO loaded yet on the Internal 1TB HDD.

Could be isolated to my unit? - **bleep**! I do not hope so :angry:

I will try to reset the unit again tonight after re-flashing the current FW Release 2.02.16 (10/26/10) and report back if the problem persist for me.

Early on, I tried some DVD ISOs on a WD Elements Portable USB drive…   No issues.

It’s up to you, but if you could, try the reset first?   

The WD boxes do an MD5 checksum on every file in the Firmware Image.   If they’re not correct, the software will error out.   It’s highly unlikely (I might even say impossible) that a reflash will do anything.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

PixelPower wrote:

Interesting; I don’t even have that issue frequently.   What you describe has happened, but for me, it’s rare… 

95% of my DVDs are TV shows that have multiple episodes per DVD.   I’m almost ALWAYS exiting at the menu, and then watching another disc (from a different series) and then sometime later (after probably 8 or 9 OTHER files) I’ll go back in, Resume, and it picks up right into the Title menu (as in, NOT the disk menu) at the same place I left.

Vista, I am wondering if your Resume database has gotten corrupted.   The only way I know of sorting that out is to go into the Setup menu and RESET the box (not RESTART, but RESET, which sends it back to factory defaults.) 

Unfortunately, I have no TV series ripped to ISO to test.  

What I can confirm is that if I resume in the previously stated scenario and, instead of hitting Play Movie, go to another menu (such as Chapters) and load the movie from there, the ISO plays fine.  

That sounds like the way you’re resuming and using TV ISOs (sub menu for each episode, right?).

The failure only happens on hitting the main Play Movie button, which would normally resume the film at the point you exited to menu. 

It seems like the Hub is remembering the initial resume location (main menu) but not saving the additional resume location for the Play Movie button.  My gut feeling is this is a bug / oversight on WD’s part.

Ok, started Star Trek disk. Main menu…episode 1…engage episode…movie plays…escaped back to menu, exited out.
started another movie , went back, resumed… Oops! There it is. Never had navigated that way before.

Well, I tried these following things this evening and was able to circumvent the issue for now!

1. Reset the device to factory defaults and did my *usual* customization and Still I had DVD ISO Playback Resume issue

2. Reset the device to factory defaults and re-flashed the official FW  Release 2.02.16 (10/26/10) and did my *usual* customization and still had DVD ISO Playback Resume issue.

I got fed up and reset the device again to factory defaults and this time I did not do my *usual* user customization settings and Viola!  DVD ISO Playback resume issue disappeared!

I was at lost for couple of hours trying to figure out what *USER* customization breaks the DVD ISO Playback Resume function… and I would like to say for *CERTAIN* that if you have MEDIA Library turned *OFF* it breaks the DVD ISO playback resume function.

I was immediately able to recreate it at will now, Just simply turn off Media Library feature OFF and you will see that DVD ISO playback resume will definitely fail.  *THIS IS A BUG*

WD Support Staff reading this post Please make a note of it and fix it!

I Do not use Media Library feature as it takes too much time to index the files, I would like DVD ISO playback function work without Media Library feature turned on. 

Why does all other media files like MKVs, AVI’s and MP4’s play fine with playback RESUME function is beyond me. It is Definately a * BUG * Please fix it.

Thanks for the community for all your suggestions.

Best wishes!

Vistawall:   Great job of narrowing it down!   I was able to reproduce it, too.

In addition to that, the Partially Watched icon never shows up on DVD.  I would recommend you contact WD Tech Support and notify them of the steps to reproduce.   I’ll do the same thing; maybe multiple reports will lend weight to the issue.