Can't view WDTV Live Hub files from desktop

I’ve had the WDTV LIve Hub (with 2gb internal hard drive) for years with no problems. All of a sudden, all of my local conent saved on the internal hard drive is gone. And for some reason, I can’t connect to it from my desktop.

The hub still turns on and works. And I can see and play all content from network shares, so I know all the network settings are fine. And the WDTV Live Hub shows up in my network list on my desktop, but when I click on it, no folders are showing up.

I’m thinking the internal hard drive might have died. If that’s the case, would the hub still be functioning? And if so, is there anyway to connect the internal hard drive directly to my desktop, so I can try to recover all of the files on it?

Yes, the hub can have limited function even if the internal HD has failed.

What does the storage manager say?

Even when I’m on the live hub itself and I try to change the source content to local source, the only folders it pulls up are 3rdparty, source, and found.chk. I know when hard drives have errors, a lot of the files are dumped into the found.chk folder. So I’m thinking there was an error with the internal hard drive. Is there a way to content the hard drive to a desktop so I can try and scan it and recover the files?

Godric wrote:
 Is there a way to content the hard drive to a desktop so I can try and scan it and recover the files?

The only way is to disassemble (voiding your warranty) and connecting via sata cable (and power) to your desktop … or if you have an external sata usb case/adaptor.

external usb sata adaptor …

wdtv live hub disassembly …