Reply
Frequent Advisor
RugerRedhawk
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎02-28-2012
0
Accepted Solution

Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

Anyone configure a logitech harmony one to actually turn on the WD TV Live (newest gen) and navigate to the netflix service? Does it work well? Maybe just having an activity that jumps to the 'services' section would be good enough if Netflix could be put on top. I'm asking because I'm looking at this device, but really want to make it easy to use for everyone who may use it in my house, and also to cut down steps. A 'watch netflix' button woudl really be a dream. I don't mind navigating to watch movies, music, etc... Thanks in advance!

Respected Contributor
Miami_Son
Posts: 639
Registered: ‎01-29-2011
0

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

The Harmony remote is a learning remote, but it can only learn commands that are button driven. Getting to Netflix from within the Hub's menu would not be something the Harmony could learn, so one-button access would not be possible.

Windows 7-64, WD TV Live Hub
If I helped you please click the kudos button.
Regular Advisor
GulfcoastGuy
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎12-25-2011
0

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

Most Harmony remotes have "One Button Activity" features.  I don't own one (but it's next on the list).  I assume it's similar to the macro capability of my  Pioneer Elite reciever learning remote.  However since Netflix IS nested in the menu system creating a macro to successfully navigate to it could be problematic.

 

GCG

Frequent Advisor
RugerRedhawk
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎02-28-2012
0

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

[ Edited ]

Is there a discrete button for 'services' that would at least allow me to program a jump straight to the services list? And maybe a way to put netflix on top of that page? I just see it being a giant headache if I have to do several button presses just to get to a service that I use many times a day. Netflix is about 90% of what we watch. Loca media and OTA tv being the other 10%.

 

I realize I'm asking pretty basic questions about the interface, but I have no way of just trying the interface out before buying so I'm trying to understand it before I take the plunge. 

Esteemed Contributor
pearl
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎10-18-2011
0

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

I dont have a harmony or any other universal remote but, what about putting netflix as one of your favorites, which is the blue "D" button. You can arrange your favorites in any order you like so you could make it the first one which would then just be the "ok" button. That's two now a sequence of two remote button moves to get to netflix. As above, cannot test this for you so just a concept.

 

-P

Regular Advisor
GulfcoastGuy
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎12-25-2011

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?


RugerRedhawk wrote:

Is there a discrete button for 'services' that would at least allow me to program a jump straight to the services list? And maybe a way to put netflix on top of that page? I just see it being a giant headache if I have to do several button presses just to get to a service that I use many times a day. Netflix is about 90% of what we watch. Loca media and OTA tv being the other 10%.

 

I realize I'm asking pretty basic questions about the interface, but I have no way of just trying the interface out before buying so I'm trying to understand it before I take the plunge. 


Maybe, If it were the only thing in your 'Favorites'.  I'm not sure and I'm at work.  I'll check tonight and get back to you or mabye someone else will chime in.

 

GCG

Frequent Advisor
RugerRedhawk
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎02-28-2012
0

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

Thanks, that sounds very feasible. 

Trusted Contributor
onewoodguy
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎12-14-2009

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

Perhaps this will answer your questions.  I just stumbled across it looking for info on themes.

Regular Advisor
GulfcoastGuy
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎12-25-2011

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

Checked that on my Hub last night.

 

1. Set a button (Blue {normally Dashboard} or one of the number buttons) to "Services".

2. Program the Harmony (assuming I'm correct about its capabilities) to do the following on one of the single button activity buttons.

     {Blue (or other)};{Right};{Right};{Right};{Down};{Down};{OK}

 

This would place you in Netflix on my Hub, but your ordering may be different depending on the firmware version and the number of included services.

 

Hope that helps you decide.

 

GCG

Frequent Advisor
RugerRedhawk
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎02-28-2012
0

Re: Can I program a logitech harmony one to have a 'watch netflix' button for this device?

Thanks everyone, it sounds reasonably doable, I'm sure I'll find a practical solution to at least cut the button presses down quite a bit .

 

Now I just need to take the plunge and get the device and an external HDD

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD