Can I get files from WD Live Hub onto new Ext. HD?

Last week I had been syncing my external HD with my Live Hub and my son knocked down the HD.  I haven’t been able to get it working since.  I bought a new HD and would love to be able to get the files off my Live Hub onto it but I don’t know how to do that.  Is there a way to do this (even if I have to go through my computer?)

djdurazzo wrote:

Last week I had been syncing my external HD with my Live Hub and my son knocked down the HD.  I haven’t been able to get it working since.  I bought a new HD and would love to be able to get the files off my Live Hub onto it but I don’t know how to do that.  Is there a way to do this (even if I have to go through my computer?)

The MANUAL page 40 will explain how to move/copy files from the Hub - It’s very cumbersome IMHO

If you have your Hub connected to your home network PROPERLY you should be able to access the drive in it from the Network using your PC. It should appear there as if it were another computer on your network. You connect your USB hard drive to your PC and then you access the Hub from your PC and simply copy the files. It will take some time but it is still much easier than using the internal Files menu of the Hub. It all depends on how fast your network is, not how fast your Internet is.

If you’re really adventurous:

1) The Hub can be connected directly to your LAN port on the PC with cat5 cable and Windows will see it the same way as if it were connected to your network. Settings to your HUb and your PC Networking MAY be required…In my case all I have to do is remove the cable in the PCs LAN port and plug it in to the Hub with another short cable. Then make sure the Hub’s Network settings is set to Automatic not Manual for the IP settings before removing it from the TV and it works. Try it and see what happens!

OR

This will VOID your WARRANTY:

2) You can open the Hub, remove the hard drive, connect the hard drive to a USB adapter and connect it and your external USB drive to the PC and then it’s a matter of just using Windows to copy files and is the fastest way to move them.

If you need to take apart your WDTV Live Hub … here’s a Youtube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9SzJfuzFTk

I presonally would’nt use a “Pocket Knife” as shown in the video.

Use old expired plastic credit card, cut one corner with scissors at a slight angle creating a sharper edge … even this won’t slice your finger off … like using a knife would easily.

plastic against plastic won’t damage the case as much (or at all) you just need to find the “weak points” between the plastic clips that hold the case together.

i have taken apart my Live Hub on one occasion using this method … no damage at all :smiley:

I used to repair Remote Controls in my old job … this was the best / safest method i found