Bad video quality for stored video

I started having this issue a couple of days ago and have not had alot of time to troubleshoot.

Here is what happens:

I updated to FW 3.01.19 about a week ago and it seemed like everything was working great until a couple of days ago. When I select a video that is stored on the hard drive the video quality is horrible. The quality has improved when I tried it today, however it is still not good enough to want to watch it . As far as streaming video through Hulu or Netflix the video quality is just fine. So as far as I can tell this problem is only related to reading the files off the Hard Drive.

Any thoughts???

I thought I might add a little more detail, it looks like the only file formats that are affected are MP4, MKV,  and AVI. My ISO files work just fine.

What were you doing?

Nothing out of the ordinary, just trying to watch a movie.

Does this happen every time?

Yes, not much change in the last couple of days.

-What hardware and media were you using?

WDTV Live Hub, Sanyo 1080P TV, HDMI Cable

-Did this happen with previous firmware?

No

-

Does power cycling the unit solve this?

Doesn't appear to

-

Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?

Havent tried

-

Have you tried this on other devices?

No, but I don't think that would help

First thing i would check, is your WDTV Live Hub “Resolution” Setting… (you havent mentioned that)

SETUP > AUDIO/VIDEO > VIDEO OUTPUT

i have mine set to HDMI(Auto)

JoeySmyth wrote:

First thing i would check, is your WDTV Live Hub “Resolution” Setting… (you havent mentioned that)

SETUP > AUDIO/VIDEO > VIDEO OUTPUT

i have mine set to HDMI(Auto)

This. Updating firmware often resets the video resolution to standard definition.

Probably another of the MANY 3.01.19 problems.  Have you downgraded to 2.07.17 to see if it goes away?

Enjoy,

Mike

I tried 2.08.13 and it seems to have the same issues.

I did check video resolution, and have tried almost every combonation possible, including auto.

Apparently there is 3.03.13 now available, and I tried it as well and I am getting the same problems. I am starting to think that it is an issue with a codec. I will try a few other firmwares tonight to see what happens.

Anyone know how to update or roll back the codecs?