Are you kidding me!?! Netflix.ca with latest firmware (FIXED!)

I swear, you cannot make this stuff up;

so there is a new firmware update today: 2.05.08, says it updated to neflix 3.0, i tested, and i am FINALLY able to login with my netflix.ca username and password, BUT, when i go to play a movie, it loads up to maybe 1/5 of the way, and tells me it cannot stream to this device.

[deleted]

Do they even test this stuff?

the login page even says “netflix.ca” so it’s atleast pointing to the right domain now, just not working.

interesting note: there is no way to get an activation code now.

Interesting and strange at the same time. 

I can’t really find any info regarding what Netflix 3.0 is supposed to do other than add some Dolby Audio feature and TV searchable menu
 yet I haven’t updated the firmware and have had a TV searchable menu in Netflix since it started working. 

Any other info on 3.0 that anybody knows of?  I’m looking for subtitle support. 

If that’s included or it’s a decent update, I’ll do it  and see if Netflix is still a go on my device, but otherwise I’m in an ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ situation.

livehubber wrote:

Subtitle support is included!  :)

With the catch that it only works for titles that offer subtitles.  Works for some TV shows / movies but not others (can confirm it works for stuff like Lost and Reaper).

Surround sound in Dolby Digital Plus works well (again, works in Lost and Reaper).

Search feature is NICE, some oddities when using a keyboard: Backspace is mapped as a Back button, careful when trying to delete stuff or you’ll go back a step.  But, other than that, very easy to find and add new content direct from the TV.  Sure, you could BROWSE suggested content in the old interface but now you can type a specific name into Netflix and if it shows a list of potential matches, whether they’re available to stream or DVD-only.

Whole Netflix experience is MUCH better.  

The release notes mention needing to de-activate / re-activate your device with Netflix - does that apply here?

Given the claim above that there’s no way to activate from the unit now, is it even possible?

I just needed to input my email address and password and it worked, but I’m in the US.  :/

Same thing I get after todays firmware updates.

It did look promising untill that screen popped up

We’re looking into it.

1 Like

PixelPower wrote:

livehubber wrote:

Subtitle support is included!  :)

With the catch that it only works for titles that offer subtitles.  Works for some TV shows / movies but not others (can confirm it works for stuff like Lost and Reaper).

Great!  Thanks for passing along the info.  I will probably hold off on doing the update until this Netflix in Canada issue is sorted out; wouldn’t want to lose my activated-by-a-glitch Netflix service just to try for subtitles right now  :wink:

To those frustrated, I feel for you, but I’m sure WD is working on it and as with any newly introduced feature in the tech world, birth pains are par for the course.  Then there is the whole, ‘is Netflix in Canada really all that great anyway’ debate, but that’s for another thread.

Any update on how things are progressing?  I got the same answer from Netflix support Thursday evening April 14, 2011

Not working here still

1 Like

I just phoned Netflix.  They are now acknowledging that it is a Netflix issue and not a WD issue.  The call centre staff were told this morning that they are working on a solution.  There is still no ETA on when exactly it will work.

I suspect that given the size of the Netflix data center, and the number of servers they have to support, even minor changes can’t happen without going through change control and testing. 

1 Like

Thanks for the update Nutbar
anxiously waiting for this to get resolved!!

nutbar wrote:

They are now acknowledging that it is a Netflix issue and not a WD issue.

It pretty much had to be, the way it was presenting itself.

Thanks for the update.

The call centre staff were told this morning that they are working on a solution.  There is still no ETA on when exactly it will work.

Well, if they’d accepted that it was their fault and started fixing it days ago, instead of just saying “nothing to do with us – phone WD and yell at them”, it’d be working by now. :wink:

nutbar wrote:

I just phoned Netflix.  They are now acknowledging that it is a Netflix issue and not a WD issue.  The call centre staff were told this morning that they are working on a solution.  There is still no ETA on when exactly it will work.

I suspect that given the size of the Netflix data center, and the number of servers they have to support, even minor changes can’t happen without going through change control and testing. 

Thank you Nutbar! Finally some acknowledgement

Finally fixed. Thanks. Netflix was the issue.

I seem to be having the same recurring problem when loading any title, all titles tried were in HD. Once the app starts, all is great, menu opens in 720p 16:9. However, as soon as I start playing a title (listed in HD of course), it kicks the screen resolution to 480p in 4:3. Whenever i stop the title, it goes back to the menu, yet still in 480p 4:3. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of settings menu on the box for this itself, so I have checked my Netflix settings on netflix.ca and it shows BEST quality. Anybody else having this issue? Any suggestions? Or should I give Netflix a call?

Thanks in advance!

Have you checked your quality settings on the Netflix.ca website?

oh yea, totally did, it’s on best quality. It plays perfectly on my PS3 and iPhone, only on my WDTV Live Plus it kicks me to 480p 4:3. it’s the weirdest thing.

Are you using COMPONENT video? If so, the drop to 480p is required by Netflix due to copy protection. The aspect ratio is something different.