A Fix: The Orange Circle of Death?

maxcat wrote:

I tried the rollback firmware without being able to load. I assume I am doing it correctly - but any advice here

____________________________________________________________________________________________

If you were doing it correctly then you would have successfully rolled back by now. :wink:

First Important Question:  please post the link to firmware you downloaded (to make sure you’re using the correct one)

Also, what Firmware are you running now ?

P.S. Reformatting the HDD will do diddly squat … it has nothing to do with “Online Services”  (in fact the Live Hub will still operate even if you remove the hdd)

1. small flashdrive (2,4,8 GB) formatted FAT32 … completely empty

2. download rollback firmware: eg.  http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivehub_rollback_3.11.10.zip

3. extract all 4 files onto the root of the flashdrive ie. No Folders

so you should only have these on the flashdrive

wdtvlivegen3.bi2

wdtvlivegen3.bin

wdtvlivegen3.fff

wdtvlivegen3.ver

4. Before inserting the flashdrive … check the detect New Firmware setting is “On”

Setup > System > Auto Detect New Firmware > On

5. Power off the WDTV (Press and hold Standby button for 5 seconds … switch off at the mains power)

6. " Safely Remove" the USB flashdrive from your PC and Insert the flashdrive into the front or rear usb input

7. Power On the WDTV

8. New Firmware should now be detected “New Firmware” notification will appear in the Home Menu. Press OK.

If you do not see the “New Firmware” notification … Start over at Step 1 using a different Flashdrive.

Use a different Brand / Capacity or Speed.

9. wait until finished

10. when finished (optional) disable the New Firmware notification

Setup > System > Auto Detect New Firmware > Off

11. It’s also recommended after a Firmware Rollback (or upgrade) to do a *Factory Reset*

Setup > System > Device Reset > Reset All Settings Back to Factory Default

1 Like