2TB Live Hub

Please can someone open your 2TB Live Hub

and

Post what type of 2TB HDD is installed!

Why?

I have three 1TB Live Hubs and if it is just the thicker 2TB HDD I will mod (hack) one of my 1TB Live Hub so I can install the thicker HDD.

Again

Please can someone open your 2TB Live Hub and post what type of 2TB HDD is installed?

Do you think someone is going to invalidate their warranty for you…?

There is no seal on the Hub when you pop off the top. 

and

It is very easy to do.

On all my hubs I have look inside and even swapped out HDD.

but

Even if I were to buy a 2TB Hub I would open it up to see what is inside.

On my first Hub

I held off on my purchase until someone posted pictures on insides of the Hub.

Some of us

Like knowing what we are buying.

Someone will eventually do it…or WD might tell you if you ask them. I sure hope it isn’t green.

Anyone out there know what type of 2TB HDD is installed!

If you look at WD’s range of drives, consider that its a 2TB and also that it has to fit in the hub, then its likely to be the WD green.

Since the 1TB Hub has the least expensive WD drive in it, expect the same for the 2TB Hub.

Oh

I agree when you view  WD’s drives, and consider that new hub is 2TB, then its likely to be the WD green

but

Who knows for sure until someone pops off the hubs top.

Now

I was not asking for a major deal. It is super super easy to pop the WD Hubs top off. And Its impossible to tell if you did it. There are no seals or even screws to take out.

I am still hoping someone out there will post a pics of the 2TB hubs interior.

Ok

Here is my Xmas wish.

I wish someone will post pics of the new 2TB hub interior.

Is it likely that somebody is going to take their brand new expensive player apart so that you can find out what you already know. Is it likely that WD are going to make a brand new unadvertised hard drive to fit into the hub?

@Memphis939

Seems your Christmas wish has been granted, I took your challenge and installed a 2TB WD Green drive to upgrade my original 1TB unit. 

Formatting was quite quick, but they are some points to note.

1. The 2TB drive is significally thicker than the original 1TB drive, so with the rubber “bumper” on, the unit doesn’t close properly…the side where the dirve is, since raises a bit… I didn’t want to try squeezing it on. Dunno if a new “bumper” could be sourced to replace that one.

2. The orignal mounting bracket is too short to cover the new drive, with a little bending it still keeps its in place…not a big deal to me really, as i haven’t move the unit in about 2-3 years since I have except today to plug it in.

3. After the formatting the 2TB drive was reduced to 1.82TB, not a but deal because you never fully got 1TB with the original drive anyway…

4. With the new 2TB drive, the unit boots considerably faster as well as loading services like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Also, I noticed my unit was a bit dusty, so I encourge come regualr maintenance to keep it clean and working in tip-top condition.

Overall I’m happy with the upgrade, so now onto the 2 other boxes I have…

My only wish is that all boxes can see where you stopped when watching one show, and give you the option to contine from that point like…maybe in the next upgrade who knows…would be useful for people with multiple boxes and family members.

1 Like

what model number hard drive ?

my 1tb seems to be failing.

thank so much for your post

Maybe a better idea is just  to add capacity (leave the 1TB in there) and buy an external drive of 2TB or so.

@madmadworld

This was the drive I bought

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HCKN0K/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

OK, but an external 2TB would cost much less, and be more flexible.

srwal

thanks a lot 

mike27oct wrote:

OK, but an external 2TB would cost much less, and be more flexible.

Since I wrote above, got an ad from Newegg for a 4TB Seagate drive for $149  (saw same at Costco last week for same price)    http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/July-0-2013/72huorsale12/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL071213&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL071213-_-EMC-071213-Index-_-E0-_-PromoWord

Like I said, there are cheaper and better alternatives than putting a $177.00, 2TB drive in an older Hub media player.

No No No

Big Big difference in a laptop HDD and the 3.5 Desktop HDD.

I have 3 or 4 of the 3Tb desktop HDD and I have enclosures. They do not work the same. External HDD take time to spin up. You have to turn them on, WD hub takes forever to access them.

A internal 2Tb WD green HDD is a different animal. It is fast and no external power source.

End of story.

Hey

Thanks for the 2Tb Green drive install info. I have 3 WD Hubs and have swapped my 1 Tb drives around but my Hubs would only recognize the blue series.

From your test I now know WD Hub will now recognize the 2 Tb Green HDD.

I also knew there  would be a fit up issues but I have pulled apart my Hubs many times and was sure you could make things fit the new thicker 2 Tb Green laptop HDD.

FYI

1.0 Tb Laptop HDD are 9.5 mm thick (blue old hub HDD)

2.0 Tb Laptop HDD are 15.0 mm thick (green)

1.5 Tb Laptop HDD are 15.0 mm thick (green)