There is no media in the current folder

my wdtv live did an auto upgrade today and now i cant access my network shares. was working fine a couple hours earlier. i am sharing my ubuntu laptop through a linksys router, with no username or password being used for the shared folder. i tried using a rollback file i found here (wdtvlive_rollback_1.02.21.zip). i loaded the rollback firmware which successfully completed, still no luck. now i have hard reset andits still not working.

as i said, everything was fine this morning. any advice as to how to get back to the previous firmware would be appreciated. it does see my network shares and i have cleared the login info and tried switching between auto and manual login.

thanks,

mike

flyboy wrote:

my wdtv live did an auto upgrade today and now i cant access my network shares. was working fine a couple hours earlier. i am sharing my ubuntu laptop through a linksys router, with no username or password being used for the shared folder. i tried using a rollback file i found here (wdtvlive_rollback_1.02.21.zip). i loaded the rollback firmware which successfully completed, still no luck. now i have hard reset andits still not working.

as i said, everything was fine this morning. any advice as to how to get back to the previous firmware would be appreciated. it does see my network shares and i have cleared the login info and tried switching between auto and manual login.

thanks,

mike

There is no such thing as an auto upgrade. You have to authorise it by pressing a button at least twice.

i didnt manually update the box with a usb drive. it found the frmware and asked if i wanted to upgrade.

Not the most helpful response RichUK…

Anyway, I have the same thing here.  My shares were find now I have the same issue.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe not helpful to the OP but helpful to certain users who may believe that the firmware is automatically installed without user intervention.

Check the thread on the new firmware release. There is thorough discussion on disabling auto login, clearing the userid/password, then re-eneabling it to resolve “no media” issues.

flyboy wrote:

thanks,

mike

I assume that you are back to the original firmware (1.02.21) as you say it successfully completed. Look under settings - system setting - about

It will tell you what firmware you are now running.

Try doing the ‘overkill’ reset.

reset via the side paperclip button with the unit on - it should reboot.

reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

unplug from power for some minutes (not seconds)

do all 3 before using the unit again.

You could also try:

1. Navigate to Settings/Network Settings and set the automatic login feature to "Off.
  2. Clear the save password setting.
  3. Navigate to Video and select the Network share.
  4. At the login screen, enter the username and password to open the Network Share.
  5. Make sure that the video content can play.
  6. Navigate to Settings/Network Settings and set the automatic login feature to "On.

"

I assume that you are back to the original firmware (1.02.21) as you say it successfully completed. Look under settings - system setting - about

It will tell you what firmware you are now running.

"

yes, i have verified that the version is set back to 1.02.21, but i will try the sequence again. as i said, it seems to see the network shares, and it appears to login, but i get the " no media found" error.

thanks for your time

news flash,

i went in to the shared folder on my linux laptop, and re-shared it. it seems to be back to normal at his point. i tried doing the rollback for a 3rd time, reset to factory settings and reflashed to the new firmware. still had no luck, so i went back to my laptop and re-shared the folder, the folder contents came right up and the movies are visable. im not a linux guru and im at a loss to explain why that fixed it.

many thanks for the helpful comments

What exactly do you mean be RESHARED? Did it STOP sharing? Or did YOU stop it and restart it?

i removed the share on the folder and then re-shared it. im thinking there might have been some kinda handshake process that linux remembered from the wdtv box, but when it upgraded the firmware, maybe the handshake info was incorrect. or then again, maybe not, lol

im glad its running again, i have to say, i havent watched “real” tv in over a year, secptin maybe a football game, since i got this box

I have a WD Live with 2  My Passport Essential drives (500 Mb and 1 TB) connected  directly to my device using the USB ports; I have used that connection perfectly in the last 4 months. However, since 2 weeks ago I started getting the message “There is no media in the current folder” and the only way to access to my files (videos or music) is unplugging my  WD media player, which is completing annoying when I need to do it several times a day.

I also receive the same message when I try to access to my shared network, which sometime works fine.

I have the latest WD firmware upgrade.

Thanks in advance

David