New WD TV Live - whats the best firmware version?

I set up my new WD TV Live yesterday, so far have had no noticeable problems with it, it access my USB HDD OK and my DNLA devices through a Belkin F5D8053ED wireless adaptor. Recognises all media files I have tried although I havent watched anything for more than a couple of minutes.

It has firmware 1.04.17_V installed.

So, what version would be best to use?

I understand that the latest version may introduce more problems than it actually solved.

thanks

Barry

It is impossible to tell you what the best version of the firmware is because different people will give you different answers. Everyone has different hardware, plays different types of files, encodes the videos differently, etc. Also, every time there is a new release there are a lot of complaints, but there are also a lot of folks who use the new releases without too many problems.

I would suggest that you try the latest firmware. If it gives you problems it is pretty easy to roll back the firmware to a previous version. Also, you can read the release notes for the different firmware versions and see if there is anything that was added after 1.04.17_V that you would like to try. If you are happy with 1.04.17 and it does what you want, you can just stay with that version.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you need to decide what version is best for you.

thanks Scandy and of course youre right. I spent the last few hours trawling through the various posts trying to figure out whats been fixed, whats been broken by each release and also what unresolved issues varuos people had/have, in the end got a little punch drunk my head was spinning! :)  But yes, experimentation is the only way forward… ho hum… well I have the weekend I suppose!

Barry

barrygreybeard wrote:

thanks Scandy and of course youre right. I spent the last few hours trawling through the various posts trying to figure out whats been fixed, whats been broken by each release and also what unresolved issues varuos people had/have, in the end got a little punch drunk my head was spinning! :)  But yes, experimentation is the only way forward… ho hum… well I have the weekend I suppose!

Barry

As an example, I have two WDTV Live+'s for about a year hooked up to two completely different setups and have never had a need to roll-back to a prior version due to a new problem that a FW caused.  Not to say that other’s complaints aren’t valid, but I have not had many of the issues that others tend to post after a new release.  Then again, I mainly use the WD to stream MKV’s (that I make from my DVD/BD’s) directly from my NAS.  Therefore, I would say that the latest version is the best - for me; but that might not be the case for you depending on the features you use and your equipment as scandy pointed out.