Wired connection to router doesn't work

Hi

I really hope you can help me.

Today I bought a Asus RT-N56U router. It works fine with my wireless laptops and phones. It also works fine with the computer connected to the router.

BUT - this is the sad part - my wdtv live hd (1 gen) wont work.

When I plug in the LAN cable the lights in the wdtv live blink every 5 seconds or so. None of the port lights in the router light up at the port connected to the wdtv live.

I have the newest firmware on both router and wdtv live hd. Even tried downgrading the router and tried custom router firmware.

I have tried resetting both the router and the wdtv live.

I have tried both dhcp and manual - but there is no connection to the network.

I have tried different cables between the wd tv live and the router.

Asus support couldn’t help. Can’t return the router because seller says nothing is wrong with it.

The wdtv live media player works fine with cable to my old netgear router (dhcp).

I dont know much about networking - but can it be a “auto negotiate” lan speed problem? It seems that the connection between wdtv live and the router is never completed.

Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Try login to the router interface and see if the unit is showing 

have you tested with a wireless adapter on the WD TV ? 

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

I have checked the router interface and router log and the unit is not showing.

I haven’t got a wireless adapter - I need the cable connection to work.

I have tried all firmware versions for the router incl custom.

The link between the units is not established - I have a feeling something could be wrong when the units auto negatiate speed (100/1000 mbit). No port lights in the port in the router where the wd tv live i lightning up. The wd tv live ports lights (link and activity) blinks every 5 sec or so.

It seems the wd tv live and the asus router is incompatible somehow.

Tried the wd tv live on 5 friends’ routers - works fine.

Tried a friends wd tv live (also 1 gen) on my asus router → same problem. No link/activity light. No connection.

I’m about to give away the asus rt-n56u router and buy another. Does anyone know if wd tv live 1 gen will work with cisco linksys ea4500?

Again - thank you for your effort to help me.

Hi xj650

Can I ask if you ever got this to work? I have a 2nd gen (I think) WD Live TV… It’s only a few months old anyway.

Just ordered a N56U and want to send it back before opening it up if I’m going to have issues!

Cheers :smiley:

Will.