WDTV Live firmware update - warning!

WD says that for advance RMA in Europe we should expect to receive the unit in 3-5 business days.

Mine is taking a long time to be sent - still being processed. I created advance RMA on Dec09, today is 15, so only 1 day to expire :( 

Lets hope I receive the unit before christmas

Sent my RMA unit to WD Canada on Dec 2 (MISSISSAUGA).  Canada Post tracking shows it was received on Dec 4 complete with a receiving signature.  But WD RMA status still shows “waiting for product”.  It’s now Dec 15.  What should I do?

-AJ

That’s the problem, most free USB drives are 2Gig and smaller and formatted as FAT. These are no good for the WDTV firmware upgrade. As I stated before if you allow everyone to download whatever they want onto whatever they want, then nothing works. Definition of technology was smart people operating dumb terminals, now it’s dumb people operating smart terminals.   

victorypoint wrote:

Sent my RMA unit to WD Canada on Dec 2 (MISSISSAUGA).  Canada Post tracking shows it was received on Dec 4 complete with a receiving signature.  But WD RMA status still shows “waiting for product”.  It’s now Dec 15.  What should I do?

-AJ

This simply means that your drive hasn’t been processed. It takes time for them to check your unit to make sure you haven’t voided the warranty (run over it with a car, taken the thing apart, thrown it in a swimming pool etc.) - I wouldn’t worry too much unless it still shows that after a week or two. Did you do an advanced or a standard RMA?

And I was exptecting my unit before christmas, I sent it on dec. 9 2009. they received it on dec 11 2009, with a standard RMA. It could be long before anything comes back to home…

Bye

* COMPLAIN *

In the RMA status page there is a message stating that WD is experiencing delay due to inventory shortage and it may take another 2 weeks for replacement.

This is not acceptable, since I see this same product being sold in several stores, which are being re-stoked with new units. Also other users that report submitted RMA after me are receiving their units very fast.

Also insisted several times to send me the pre-paid UPS label. I've being ignored!!!

Well finally my replacement unit arrived today. Will udate as soon as WD gets their act together and deliver a bugfree update.

victorypoint wrote:

-AJ

An update - WD site now shows my RMA status as received and shipped - that’s a total of 19 days to process my RMA.

I will receive one wdlivetv this Christmas. After reading all posts i think your advice is not to upgrad the fw. I think i prefer wait  for some i can trust 100%. What do you think?

Finally received my replacement unit from WD - RMA completed on the Dec 12th (unt bricked on the 4th but waited a week to see if there would be a less painful solution) - shiipped the 16th from Cal. and received 24th on East coast of Canada.  Definately and open box but the unit looks clean.  I thought they would have sent new units to those of us that have had to endure this episode. Let’s hope that more care is taken in future firmware upgrades.  Thank you to the forum members and advisors for all the information over the past few weeks. Have a great holiday.

And now? Do you will upgrad the fw again?

Ok - the unit has a protected boot block area, that kicks in when the system bios is corrupted (bad checksum), normally you should be able to recover the bios.  Depending on the reasons why the unit got corrupted in the first place, you may not be able to recover.

Try this to recover your unit…Shut it down completly, turn power off.

Unzip and extract all firmware files to the ROOT of your USB key with nothing else on it.

Plug the key to your box (WHILE IT IS OFF!)

Once plugged in, turn your unit on !

Normally it should be able to recover, these units have a backup area - if it doesn’t work then WD’s own recovery system is flawed - they can’t get ANYTHING right -  it amazes me how in the first place defects in their updating manager have passed QC checks - amazing - and they can’t even get their own recovery process working either.

Try this above method and let me know if it works.

If this unit also erases and updates the boot block & system areas, and even the boot block area is corrupt, you are out of luck.

If it still doesn’t work try a different USB slot, use the one on the back for example.

One month later and I still don’t have a replacement unit! 

Advance RMA should take only 5 days, but from the last 16 days I have a message stating is “Delayed”

This is absurd!!! ONE MONTH and noone from WD support says nothing!!! 

Could we ask for a refund or not?

IS ANYONE FROM WD LISTENING HERE? (Web support looks dead - nobody replies to my messages)

Give me my money back please!!!

ONE MONTH AFTER THE PROBLEM and still didn’t receive my unit!

WD: GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!

same to me!!!

I contacted the support about 10 times! everytime they promised me everything… UPS label, fast exchange… And now? still waiting… def. the last thing I bought from WD

Where can i download 1.0.1.12 version? If i understand there is not problem if you upgrade it from usb

Wd told you should not do it…Many users had their unit broken doing this…

Same here in germany! I opened my Support-Ticket on December 4th and after some emails with WD-Support I finally received my UPS-prepaid-label on December 16th.

Actually I’m still waiting for my replacement unit. The guy at WD-Support told me that the swap-point in hungary wasn’t open in the past 2 weeks (christmas, new-year…OK, thats comprehendible).

I got mine updated to 1.0.1.12 via USB and I’m fine! :slight_smile:

Now almost a month past and WD still did not post new 1.0.1.12 on the website…

35 days after… Still no replacement and no answers from customer support!!!

Stores are being stocked everywhere with this unit and my RMA still says delayed due to stock shortage.

One thing is for sure this is the last WD product I buy or advise to buy. What can I say to my friends that bought this product because of me and are in the same situation I am?

I feel so sorry for buying a WD product. :frowning: