WDTV Live Plus Limited Public Beta 1.03.39_B (9/9/10)

If you run Wireless and Wired Simultaneously on your PC, you’re in for problems…  That’s a rare, sometimes complex, configuration.  

My pc isn’t having the problems with it.  It’s the WD TV Live Plus.  I should be able to have an ethernet connection to the WD TV Live Plus and still have wireless-N for other uses. No?

The WD Livewire instructions even shows that set-up (wired and wireless) in its instructions.

Just looked through the instructions… I don’t see that.

If you’ve got a wireless router and a tv connected to a wd livewire adapter and another connected to a pc via another livewire adapter you essentially have both a wired as well as wireless running in the household, right?  Otherwise why would the documentation show it connected to a wireless router??? 

Anyone know if WD TV Live Plus ethernet port is Gigabit or not?

WD TV Live Plus does not have Gigabit ethernet.

No, that’s not what you said, you said:  “I am t connected via Ethernet through the Livewire, I also have Wireless-N running (same computer)”

"Same Computer means, to me, that your PC has a WIRED connection (using an ethernet cable) *AND* a Wireless adapter running on the computer, too.  Meaning, you have TWO ACTIVE INTERFACES on the same computer.

That’s different than having a wireless and wired network in the same household, which is perfectly fine.  

But running BOTH, simultaneously, on a PC requires special configuration to make network shares work correctly; and I have no clue how to do that, myself…  

I would like to report that this beta firmware resolved the issues I was having with certain MKV files.  Thanks!

When/if will Hulu support be added?  PlayOn works, but would perfer it native.

You do realize that you could have fixed the files yourself in a few seconds, instead of waiting months and months for a firmware update, right?

Who said I waited months for a firmware update?  And yeah, I know hot to fix it and that’s exactly how I did until now.  I was just simply reporting that the firmware did in deed resolve an issue.

It works with composite, but how do I get HDMI to work again?

Uploaded the patch - all seems to be ok, but if I leave the WD HD Live on for a long time (>1 hour) without playing movies etc. it’s unresposive to the remote. t also does not transmit a signal to the TV via HDMI.

powercycling it fixes the problem.

Weird thing - when it’s in this state I can still access it via ethernet (via hardwire on lan, not wireless).

I have two HD TV Live Plus and this happens on both since I upgraded to the beta release.

There seems to be a problem with the RGB colourset for Component output. If I select that my screen turns green.

I’ve noticed that none of the ideas on the forum pool seem to get noticed so I thought I would post them here.
*Support for FULL 1080p through component - as of the moment there isn’t (1080i max).
*STRETCH SOURCE ASPECT RATIO - This I can’t stress enough. Watching 4:3 videos with a widescreen LCD is really annoying.
*Playback of root directory with multiple sub-folders
*Better playback HUD with more options.

The xbox360 has this implimented, yet the WDTV Live is sold as a dedicated media player and doesn’t have/do any of them. I bought a WDTV for better codec support over the xbox360+Tversity transcoder library, I’m an incredibly seasoned media junky and if it’s one thing I know it’s networking and media playback. After hearing glowing reports about the WDTV, I was incredibly disappointed to see that a $200 media player couldn’t play RMVBs against it’s $60 entry level counterpart that can. Then I saw there was no full HD support through YPbPr, again to my disappointment. And finally a suggestion which seems to go unanswered time and time again, no support to stretch the source aspect ratio of the video.

I made this account to bring up the green video output on component RGB but then I decided to air my grievances over a device that I now think I feel ultimately let down by. The lack of community feedback and acknowledgement from the WD devs is really disappointing aswell. There are some great ideas here and they just all seem to go unnoticed.

Support for 1080p over component would be useful and should be added if the chipset can support it.

I have no idea why anyone would want to intentionally distort video to spread it out to a wide screen format when it was not produced that way.  Get used to the idea that 4:3 material will not fill a 16:9 screen.  Better yet, any media that is not 16:9 will have unused areas as the video is fitted to the available screen area.

The component video output works fine on the latest firmware (0.39).  Its not green on any of the screens we have.  1080i max, but its not green.  Perhaps your unit has a problem or the plug is not making contact on the rear of the WDTV?

What playback options are you looking for?

RGB setting the picture to a GREENISH hue is NORMAL, because almost EVERY COMPONENT display expects YUV, not RGB.

1080p on component likely isn’t going to happen.   That’s a hardware requirement and won’t be changeable in software.

It doesn’t matter whether you understand why I would want to stretch the source aspect ratio or not. Different strokes for different folks. Having the option to do it would be better than not at all. Even the most basic media players have an option to crop black bars, who cares if it gets a bit distorted. As for the green HUE to the component on RGB, why is it only on the update and not on the current stable build? And why would it be an option if component expects YUV? How do you suppose that the plug isn’t making contact with the back of the unit, it’s a 3.5mm stereo jack so it’s either in or out.
Surely the problem couldn’t be with the firmware or anything like that.
I don’t even know why I bothered posting to this idiotic waste of time, if this is the kind of responses you get from snr members.

It’s quite possible that the RGB setting didn’t DO anything to begin with. 

According to release notes:

Resolved component user interface color space.

SOME component displays DO need RGB (like a VGA display that accepts RGB Component signals.)   But almost every Television made expects YUV (also known as YPbPr.)

Just out of curiosity, why are you even CHANGING The setting since you don’t understand what it’s for? 

How do you suppose that the plug isn’t making contact with the back of the unit

It’s certainly possible that a green tint could be because the plug isn’t fully seated, but in that case, setting RGB or YUV won’t “Fix” it.   You’re WRONG that it’s either IN or NOT; that’s a FOUR-CONDUCTOR cable; it’s quite easy to get it to “Sort of Work” if the plug isn’t fully engaged.

I don’t even know why I bothered posting to this idiotic waste of time, if this is the kind of responses you get from snr members.

You’re right.  If you don’t want to listen to suggestions, then don’t post.

Enemy_Hero wrote:

Only a couple of posts and I see that you are endearing yourself to the other users. This is a user to user forum, you get what you get, sorry if its not what you want to hear.