WDTV LIVE and Synology NAS

Hi.
Does somebody have a Synology with DSM v3.2 and a WDTV Live with firmware 1.06.15 succesfully connecting to the Synology NAS by both network share and DLNA?

After I upgraded my DS508 to DSM 3.2, both of my two WDTV Live boxes cannot access the Synology anymore.

There is no problem accessing file shares on the DS508 from a Windows computer. I have also tried downgrading the firmware on the WDTV Live boxes to v1.05, but that didn’t solve the problem.
I suspect the problem is within the Synology DSM 3.2 firmware.

Best regards
Ulrik Andreassen

Yes I do and everything is working fine. Use the control panel. create a user call it WDTVLIVE and give it a password. Go to the WDTVLIVE and sign in it should work just fine.

NYTEMAYR wrote:
Yes I do and everything is working fine. Use the control panel. create a user call it WDTVLIVE and give it a password. Go to the WDTVLIVE and sign in it should work just fine.

That is exactly how my system has been configured since I purchased my WDTV boxes, and it have worked for a long time now - even after several firmware upgrades on both the WDTV boxes and the Synology.

I can log in by the WDTV account from my Windows computer, so the account is working - just not from the WDTV boxes.

/Ulrik

I have 3.2 running and am having not issues with my WDTV live+.  The media server (DLNA) shouldn’t require any setup and should work outright.  However, Syno did change some settings in the media server and you might want to check on them.  Go into media server, then select the DMA compatibility tab.  On the lower left select the Devices tab and you should find your WDTV Live listed.  Make sure the WDTV Live profile is selected on the right hand side - if not, then click on whatever’s in that field and you’ll have an option to select WDTV Live.  That should do it.

Good luck.

tjkaz wrote:

I have 3.2 running and am having not issues with my WDTV live+.  The media server (DLNA) shouldn’t require any setup and should work outright.  However, Syno did change some settings in the media server and you might want to check on them.  Go into media server, then select the DMA compatibility tab.  On the lower left select the Devices tab and you should find your WDTV Live listed.  Make sure the WDTV Live profile is selected on the right hand side - if not, then click on whatever’s in that field and you’ll have an option to select WDTV Live.  That should do it.

Good luck.

I have also already checked up on the media server settings on the Syno, and the settings are still OK. I hardly never use DLNA, but always network share, as iso-files and subtitles cannot be played via DLNA.

The problem HAS to be network related then. I think I might try to reboot my backbone switch to see if that makes a difference.

/Ulrik

ullerdk wrote:

tjkaz wrote:

Good luck.

I have also already checked up on the media server settings on the Syno, and the settings are still OK. I hardly never use DLNA, but always network share, as iso-files and subtitles cannot be played via DLNA.

The problem HAS to be network related then. I think I might try to reboot my backbone switch to see if that makes a difference.

/Ulrik

Sounds like you’re on the right track.  True about the ISO files and external subs.  I don’t play ISO files, and only store MKV’s of my main movies.  If at any time the latter is an option for you, I have embedded subs into my MKV’s using a freeware program called MKVmerge.  This way I only have one file and it plays just fine through DLNA. 
Good luck.

Rebooted my backbone switch - it didn’t solve the problem. This is driving me mad… both my WDTX boxes have worked great for a long long time just until now, and suddenly both of them cannot access the Syno NAS anymore.

I have of course tested the account that the WDTX boxes use to login to th e Syno NAS, and that account works fine when using a Windows computer as a client to the NAS.

Anybody else having an advice?

/Ulrik

did you enable firewall? If so try without it. If it helps, enable explicitely:

UDP/137 - used by nmbd

UDP/138 - used by nmbd

TCP/139 - used by smbd

TCP/445 - used by smbd

good luck.

w.

awaldek wrote:

did you enable firewall? If so try without it. If it helps, enable explicitely:

UDP/137 - used by nmbd

UDP/138 - used by nmbd

TCP/139 - used by smbd

TCP/445 - used by smbd

good luck.

w.

Nope, firewall has always been disabled on my Syno NAS.

When you setup the WDTV LIVE , HUB or LIVE PLUS accounts on the Synology NAS do this 1) mount all WDTV drives on the Synology NAS. 2) Go to the Synology user setup and stop the Synology NAS from sharing the WDTV LIVE mounted drive with the WDTV LIVE. 3) This saves some WDTV media compile time. You don’t want the WDTV to be looking into a mirror and thinking its seeing a network drive.

NYTEMAYR wrote:
When you setup the WDTV LIVE , HUB or LIVE PLUS accounts on the Synology NAS do this 1) mount all WDTV drives on the Synology NAS. 2) Go to the Synology user setup and stop the Synology NAS from sharing the WDTV LIVE mounted drive with the WDTV LIVE. 3) This saves some WDTV media compile time. You don’t want the WDTV to be looking into a mirror and thinking its seeing a network drive.

I don’t quite understand this explaination, since I only access the Syno from WDTV by network. This is really driving me nuts, that I cannot solve this problem…

ullerdk,

Don’t know if you got things working yet, but thismight be helpful for you.

tjkaz wrote:

ullerdk,

Don’t know if you got things working yet, but thismight be helpful for you.

Thanks for this tip, I will try it as soon as I get home to my Syno/WDTV. But please note that neither DLNA or network shares works with WDTV->Syno.

/Ulrik