WD TV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.04.22_V (3/3/11)

WDTV-User wrote:

“Incorporated corrected language translations.”  That is not correct. “8 bisschen” in German translation means in english translation “little bit”. Bit is a technical Word and cannot be translated.

It doesn’t say it incorporated _ ALL _ translation corrections… just that it added some.  The release notes are correct, regardless of whether they’ve changed what you wish would get changed, or not.

WDTV-User wrote:

“Incorporated corrected language translations.”  That is not correct. “8 bisschen” in German translation means in english translation “little bit”. Bit is a technical Word and cannot be translated.

This issue is fixed in the latest Hub beta (2.04.13).

Surprised it’s not resolved in the Live / Plus betas too… but if so, should be fixed in an upcoming release.  Been a long time coming.

RoofingGuy wrote:

WDTV-User wrote:

It doesn’t say it incorporated _ ALL _ translation corrections… just that it added some.  The release notes are correct, regardless of whether they’ve changed what you wish would get changed, or not.

[deleted] The big World Firm Western Digital cannot fix this little problem. A small word, a large problem for Western Digital. That is fact and that is laughable.

mixon wrote:

MKV chapers are not working.

I can see chapter list but selecting on or the other does not do anything.

MKV fast forward not working. Same old message tric mod is not available.

I have Despicable Me mks and for some reason in last chapter wd quits playing.

I am not sure what that is as it playes fine on PC but on WD always quits playing at that very spot.

In regard to TuneIn Radio - I have to say it is freaking AWESOME.

One issue is that it does want to stream any channel with WMA?!

Anyone else is having this issue?

MKV chapters and fast forwarding are working fine from USB, network shares and media servers.

Your files are the problem.

Can somebody confirm that D-link DWA 131 wireless adapter works fine with 1.04.22_V.

Thanks.

I should have been more specific. I am not streaming I am playing from usb and chapter and fasr forward dont work

Mixon, it’s still the file that’s bad… it doesn’t matter whether it’s stored on a local drive, or being accessed over a network.

The file you’re trying to play doesn’t have proper indexing or proper sequence headers.  That’s not a firmware bug – the file’s just broken.

“Bisschen” translated by Google Translate lists “Bit” among other  meanings, but perhaps it is not literal. Perhaps their translation is social in context (little bit) which is not true since literal scientific terms expressed in German cannot be other than as stated. This is a difficult concept to understand in English. Absolutely absolute without interpretation possible comes to mind. 

My only problem with this release that I’ve noticed is that the thumbnails look really awful.  By awful I mean they look grainy, even from a distance.  I deleted my thumbnail cache before I upgraded to 1.04.22 and so I’m just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this.  They looked a lot clearer before I upgraded.  Thanks…

rayhull wrote:

Perhaps their translation is social in context (little bit) which is not true since literal scientific terms expressed in German cannot be other than as stated. This is a difficult concept to understand in English.

There is no “difficult concept”. In every language you will find words which meaning depends on the context. Especially when an acronym or a portmanteau (like “bit”) results in an existing word. Everyone who does translations on a regular basis knows this.

I fully accept that the translation of the menus isn’t perfect. There may be misspellings, wrong grammar/comma placement or suboptimal choice of words. However, this is a horrible mistake. In this context, “bit” means “binary digit” and not “a small portion”, so the translation is “bit” and not “bisschen”.

I can’t understand why it takes so long to fix this, as this is a matter of a few minutes and it represents one of the worst translation mistakes imaginable.

WD, a lot of people laugh at you because of this. And they are right, as this clearly shows that your translator had no clue of what he was doing. This may be ok for a two-man-backyard-company in Shanghai which hires a neighbor for  doing the German translation - because he owns a German shepherd dog. But it is not ok for a big company like Digitaler Wildwestfilm… oh sorry… Western Digital.

Not excusing the poor wording, but just getting technical with ya’ll:

What WD appears to have done is TRANSLATED the text.   And as such, the TRANSLATIONS are correct while maintaining grammar.  

What they failed to do was INTERPRET the text.  

A Translater’s job is much easier than an Interpreter’s job…   

Translation involves just looking a word up in a dictionary and finding the other word.

Interpretation involves UNDERSTANDING the word and finding the cultural and symantic MEANING and translating that to another language while keeping the MEANING.

Now, carry on with the arguments.  !  :) 

TonyPh12345 wrote:

What WD appears to have done is TRANSLATED the text.   And as such, the TRANSLATIONS are correct while maintaining grammar. 

Translating at least requirers choosing a correct alternative if a dictionary presents several words with different meanings.

Doing a translation by choosing a word without regard to the context is like playing chess by moving the figures to random spots on the chess board. :wink:

Still facing the same problem with VORBIS audio in mkv (as mentioned above).

Same goes for any fw after 1.03.49. Videos with vorbis audio keep screeching.

I think the issue is that the WD language team doesn’t send a new language pack to be compiled in to the code for _ EVERY _ change they make.  They possibly corrected it to “bit” in their working upgrade quite some time ago, but are still working on other German improvements, and once the German pack is stable, then it will get compiled in in its entirety.

And the fact remains, since everyone knows it’s the wrong word, there hasn’t been any functionality lost.  It’s not like German users are unable to choose between 8-bit and 12-bit colour because they can’t find anything in the settings… they just laugh that the wrong word has been used.  If there were mistranslations that either grossly interfered with using the device, or actually made it unsafe (perhaps by suggesting incorrect voltages, or something like that?), I’m sure the language team would be in a much greater rush to make changes.

We know the “Bit” correction has been forwarded to the language team… Bill told us that, a while back.  The German language pack, with corrections, will assumedly be released as soon as it’s finalized.  And then, it would get compiled in to the next release.

It doesn’t matter how simple this one correction would be to make… it depends what’s on the language team’s been tasked with and how things have been prioritized.

And since they know it needs fixing, and have presumably marked the change ages ago and are working on other things first, it seems somewhat counter-productive to bring it up every time a firmware is released – they already know they haven’t sent it off to be compiled in yet… if they’re checking to see what other language items need fixing, and end up reading pages of arguments about how dumb they are for not fixing “Bit” yet, that’s time wasted, that they could have been finishing the German pack.

RoofingGuy wrote:
[…]

We know the “Bit” correction has been forwarded to the language team… Bill told us that, a while back.  The German language pack, with corrections, will assumedly be released as soon as it’s finalized.  And then, it would get compiled in to the next release.

[…]

• *> We’re not talking about the manual of a spaceship but of a quite small number of menu items. This should take no longer than a single work day (even if the translator works very slowly) and in the one and a half years since the release of the WD TV Live there for sure has been enough time to correct the Geman language pack.> If the team at WD doesn’t have the time to do this, then they can send me a list of the menu items with the current translation and I will do the correction.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Not excusing the poor wording, but just getting technical with ya’ll:

What they failed to do was INTERPRET the text.  

A Translater’s job is much easier than an Interpreter’s job…   

Translation involves just looking a word up in a dictionary and finding the other word.

Interpretation involves UNDERSTANDING the word and finding the cultural and symantic MEANING and translating that to another language while keeping the MEANING.

Now, carry on with the arguments.  !  :) 

@TonyPh12345

Please explain that:

PixelPower wrote:

WDTV-User wrote:

This issue is fixed in the latest Hub beta (2.04.13).

Surprised it’s not resolved in the Live / Plus betas too… but if so, should be fixed in an upcoming release.  Been a long time coming.

Ooops!   I just did a compare of the BINARIES and found NO language differences between 1.04.17V and 1.04.22V.

HOWEVER,  the GERMAN translation differences in the HUB code are EXTENSIVE.

Examples:

"Zufällig wiedergeben"
 "Zufallswiedergabe"

"Leerzeichen"
 "Leertaste"

"Mitteleuropa (ISO)"
 "Zentraleuropa (ISO)"

"Mitteleuropa (Windows-1250)"
 "Europe centrale (Windows-1250)"

"Zielverzeichnis auswählen"
 "Ein Zielverzeichnis auswählen"

"Suche kabelloses Netzwerk..."
 "Suche Drahtlos-Netzwerk..."

"Suche kabelloses Netzwerk..."
 "Suche Drahtlos-Netzwerk..."

"Interessante Fotos der letzten 7 Tage"
 "Interessante Titel der letzten 7 Tage"

"Interessante Fotos der letzten 7 Tage"
 "Interessante Titel der letzten 7 Tage"

"Diese Woche"
 "Diese woche"

"Diesen Monat"
 "Diesen monat"

"Meine eingestellten Sender"
 "Meine Favoriten"

"VIP-Sender"
 "VIP Sender"

"Benutzername oder Kennwort ungültig. Bitte versuchen Sie es erneut."
 "Benutzername und Kennwort sind ungültig. Bitte versuchen Sie es erneut."

"Benutzername oder Kennwort ungültig. Bitte versuchen Sie es erneut."
 "Benutzername und Kennwort sind ungültig. Bitte versuchen Sie es erneut."

"Kabelgebunden"
 "Drahtgebunden"

"Kabellos"
 "Drahtlos"

"SSID eingeben"
 "Bitte SSID eingeben"

"8 Bit"
 "8 bisschen"

"10 Bit"
 "10 bisschen"

"12 Bit"
 "12 bisschen"

"Netzwerksicherheitskennwort eingeben"
 "Bitte geben Sie das Netzwerksicherheitskennwort ein"

and dozens more

So, they’ve done the work, it looks like the new language files just didn’t make it in by compile time on the Beta for the Live/Live+…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

So, they’ve done the work, it looks like the new language files just didn’t make it in by compile time on the Beta for the Live/Live+…

… isn’t that what I long-windedly said? :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, getting screen flicker. Using HDMI cable and Samsung LCD. I have noticed it several times since I upgraded.

We will be rolling this firmware live, shortly.  Will close this thread and open another for the firmware release.

2 Likes